Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never read any good ideas on changing the AirDog fuel filters or any other brand other than crimping the inlet fuel line or add a shut-off valve or changing the filters real fast.
I decided to try having about 1/4 tank of fuel, get the front of the truck up about 3"- 4" higher than the rear, loosen the bleed screw on the stock fuel filter housing and loosen the fuel cap.
There was no fuel loss other than what was in both filters and just a little fuel out of the line from the main fuel filter.
NO FUEL SYPHONING out of the lift pump like most deal with when changing both filters, I had very little loss of fuel.
When all done changing both filters tighten the fuel cap then just turn key on, let the lift pump run and prime the line then tighten the bleed screw when the fuel starts running out.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
My truck parks nose up in the driveway. I just unscrewed the old one, and put in the new one, maybe 1 drop of fuel slid down the side of the filter. Never bothered popping the hood, as the airdog self burps air.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:thumb:
I've had a shop do mine until today, they've always had fuel coming out while changing the filters on level ground.
Most talk about crimping the fuel line with vise grips, I don't feel that's a very good idea doing on the fuel lines. :thumbsdow
Your the first one that I've read that's had no big mess without doing all of the suggestions.
Pretty much the only fuel that comes out is what's already in the filters. :HiHi:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I use radiator hose pinch off pliers, they have a flat face so don't damage hose,lock in place til you release them, works fine,doesn't harm line. You can get them in different sizes.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing that could eventually damage the hose, it's not worth the chance of doing that IMO.

Yesterday I swapped out the low pressure sensor for a ISSPRO 0-20 gauge sensor the way I mentioned in my post #1 and not a drop of fuel came out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Put the same pan that you use for oil changes under the fuel filter. Change them quick. Any fuel that spills or drips out while changing will be caught in the pan.

I think you may be overthinking it a bit. I dont have an airdog but ive got an auxiliary fuel filter mounted on the frame by the fuel tank. When its time to change it i simply unscrew the old one, put the new one on, and bleed it up front on the fuel filter housing. Simple

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no over thinking on this, I'm just not a fan of excess diesel fuel draining out besides what's in the filter/filters. :thumbsdow
And besides I can take my time, no rushing with having to be quick.:HiHi:
But hey, if your happy and content with the way you do it, then by all means continue on.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Doing that could eventually damage the hose, it's not worth the chance of doing that IMO.

Yesterday I swapped out the low pressure sensor for a ISSPRO 0-20 gauge sensor the way I mentioned in my post #1 and not a drop of fuel came out.
highly unlikely

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
highly unlikely
I guess I should have video it, for the ones that knows no better.
Try this procedure next time you change filters, you'll see just how likely it is.
If the fuel in the tank is lower than the location of the lift pump, and you release the pressure in the tank by loosening the fuel cap, you'll have NO fuel siphoning out.
Pretty simple makes since process when you think about it real hard. :idea:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
i ment damaging the hose, i don't see an issue with my method, so I'll just agree to disagree, works fine for me

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem :thumb:
But I think if you contact AirDog they will tell you it's not recommended anymore, reason, because of what I mentioned.
I know in a earlier old YouTube video that's what they suggested, but no more.
Like I said, no problem. :HiHi:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I remember searching around for an answer to this as well and I think I might've found the issue.

for reference, I drive an 01 LB7 with an Airdog ll 4G 165. Still have the stock filter head as well.
when i changed my filters, I had between 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel.
removed the cap from filler tube as well.

i wanted to update these posts because i thought i was having the same issue...i would crack open the water drain on the water separator and fuel would just keep on coming...i just tightened it up after about 1/2 gallon drained into an empty bottle.
the next day i figured one way or another I need to replace these filters so i was just going to move fast--i didn't bother with the water drain, i just unscrewed the W/S expecting the worse.

but once I started unscrewing the actual filter, the fuel flow ceased. same thing for the fuel filter. it was just the fuel in filters at that point.
i think i remember reading there is some sort of spring at the top of the assembly that lets fuel through or keeps it from entering. when the filters are tight, the spring is compressed and lets fuel flow--hence why diesel keeps coming if you just open up the water drain valve on the W/S.
i could be wrong, but this might be what you (and others) were experiencing.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Pre-fill the LP filters with clean diesel, install them, (don’t loosen them) cycle the LP off and on about 3-5 times with the fuel cap off observe the flow thru the return, this should take, hear the air coming out of the filters.
Start your engine and enjoy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I tried D_R_C's method of changing the AirDog II fuel filters and it worked great. I had just under a ½ tank of fuel and parked the truck on my driveway which is sloped. Took the fuel cap off and opened the bleeder screw on the "under the hood" fuel filter. Removed all 3 filters and replaced them with minimal fuel loss. I then used the AirDog II to fill all 3 filters once fuel started coming out of the bleeder screw. Thanks for your write-up.👏

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried D_R_C's method of changing the AirDog II fuel filters and it worked great. I had just under a ½ tank of fuel and parked the truck on my driveway which is sloped. Took the fuel cap off and opened the bleeder screw on the "under the hood" fuel filter. Removed all 3 filters and replaced them with minimal fuel loss. I then used the AirDog II to fill all 3 filters once fuel started coming out of the bleeder screw. Thanks for your write-up.👏
👍

1 - 15 of 15 Posts