Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last nite went out and changed the rear diff oil. I only have 4300 miles on the truck and couldn't believe how dirty the oil looked. I only got three quart out and put three back in. It was about 1/2" down from the top of the fill plug.

Now a question - Did you guy's also do front and did it look clean or dirty like the rear? I wasn't going to do the front-- it already has synthetic in it.

gcat

·
Registered
121 Posts
My Rear Diff was the same. Seems to match everyone's experience.
I put in 3.5 quarts though.

My front was milky looking. I'd change yours if it's never been changed. Fine if its got synth in it, but the change is needed to remove the break-in fluid/garbage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
dont over fill the rear end

dont overfill the rear differential...you should not be able to touch the fluid Lubricant Level Inspection - Rear Drive Axle (11.5 Inch Axle)

1. <LI type=1>Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information. <LI type=1>Make sure the vehicle is level. <LI type=1>Inspect the rear axle for leaks. Repair as necessary. <LI type=1>Clean the area around the rear axle fill plug.

<LI type=1>Remove the rear axle fill plug and the seal. <LI type=1>Inspect the lubricant level.
    Specification
    The lubricant level should be between 17-21 mm (0.6-0.8 in) below the fill plug opening.
    <LI type=1>If the level is low, add lubricant until the level is between 17-21 mm (0.6-0.8 in) below the fill plug opening. Use the proper fluid. Refer to Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations in Maintenance and Lubrication. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
    <LI type=1>Install the rear axle fill plug and gasket.
    Tighten
    Tighten the rear axle fill plug to 33 N·m (24 lb ft).
  2. Lower the vehicle.
with your finger like in the old days..

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
How'd you like the smell of that purple lube for the rear axle? Some people here say that it smells like grape juice. I think they are being too kind in their description. To me it smells like rotten onions. -:t And the smell stays with you for 24 hour or longer if you get it on you. Next time I'm going to use latex gloves and hope I don't get it on my clothes.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
dont overfill the rear differential...you should not be able to touch the fluid Lubricant Level Inspection - Rear Drive Axle (11.5 Inch Axle)
  1. Lower the vehicle.
with your finger like in the old days..

Really??? I filled mine all they way till it started to just come out of the fill hole. I think most people do it that way, is it going to harm anything?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Really??? I filled mine all they way till it started to just come out of the fill hole. I think most people do it that way, is it going to harm anything?
No it will not hurt anything.

Not sure about others, but, All of my fingers are longer than a half inch.

I can touch the fluid with Any finger I choose.

FWIW.

·
Registered
132 Posts
rear axle fluid depth guage

Someone here or somewhere I dont know who, posted a cool depth gauge to verify fluid level at the rear diff fill hole.

Took the short end of an allen wrench and dipped the hole with it!

The dimension of the one I grabbed in the garage was 0.75 inch
I found others various length, could Micrometer it if your that concerned.

I think the fear of overfill is foaming of the fluid.

drdave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts