Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering if there is going to be any changes to the allison transmision on the new lly motor. Thanks

·
Registered
747 Posts
IIRC, the allison was upgraded in all '04's to handle the LLY's output. So, if I am understanding this correctly, my LB7 has the upgraded allison behind it. Would this be correct dmaxallitech, gmcsid, other techs/people in the know?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Kind of an obscure answer here. Based on a previous post here:

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1893&KW=allison+upgrade

The one by Mic_ a ways down the page, the upgrade is in all Allisons, but is not functional with anything but the 8.1 gas and the LLY. According to what he copied, which I'll paste part of here, functionality with the LB7 is specifically excluded:

The valve body for the Allison® Series 1000 transmission has been revised for the 2004 model year to add modulated main pressure control. This revision will provide additional transmission oil cooler flow and reduced pump load during certain low speed operating conditions. The revised components will be installed on all 2004 transmissions and will be functional on the L18, 8.1L gas engine and LLY, 6.6L diesel engine but not on the LB7, 6.6L diesel engine.

That's just part of his post. I know Eric has said something about them all being upgraded, and I don't know where Mic_ copied this stuff from. Maybe one of the techs has more info.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I heard several well qualified people say that all 2004 Allisons were upgraded, and then I read that the LB7 was excluded on GMs website. I wish we could find out what is correct once and for all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My dad has an '02 D/A EC 2500HD 4x4 and I just purchased an '04 D/A CC 2500HD 4x4. I have the LB7 engine and I assume he does as well. The difference I can see in the allison is almost like a gear ratio difference. We both have 3.73 rear ends, but mine runs about 150RPM higher than his at 70mph.

I don't understand why that would be unless there was an intentional change in the transmission to compensate for the in weight difference? I have the crew cab and he has the extended but I would think this would be trivial to the D/A powertrain.

Not sure, but just an interesting observation. Would the upgrade for '04 Allison have any bearing on this? Maybe there were also changes to the Allison between the '02 & '03 that would explain the difference?

(you caught me!!!!)Edited by: BKG-22

·
Registered
540 Posts
1500 difference??? Really???

Did you mean 150??? How about tire size for the cause??

·
Registered
91 Posts
You caught me, FirstDiesel! Yeah - 150RPM difference. We are both running stock tires (his have a few more miles on them - but that should be negligible).

Thx!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts