Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen people talking about changing transmission fluid on this forum, I have always thought you never had to change the fluid, am I wrong? I have about 40,000 miles on my truck (see sig) and I am noticing what seems to be some slipping in my clutch. Should I change the tranny oil?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
you really do need to change your fluid if you want it to last

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I have seen people talking about changing transmission fluid on this forum, I have always thought you never had to change the fluid, am I wrong? I have about 40,000 miles on my truck (see sig) and I am noticing what seems to be some slipping in my clutch. Should I change the tranny oil?
Allison's recommendation is 50k under normal conditions.I would have recommended a drain at 25K (that's what most have done) then 50k intervals.

Also changing the Allison spin on at 5k intervals is recommended and cheap insurance.Don't lose the ring magnet.

If you haven't done any of this don't panic,but I would change the spin on ASAP. I highly doubt that your transmission is slipping.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Allison's recommendation is 50k under normal conditions.I would have recommended a drain at 25K (that's what most have done) then 50k intervals.

Also changing the Allison spin on at 5k intervals is recommended and cheap insurance.Don't lose the ring magnet.

If you haven't done any of this don't panic,but I would change the spin on ASAP. I highly doubt that your transmission is slipping.
What is the allison spin on? I assume that is a filter?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Yep filter it is....Look at front of transmission.There will be a red filter just in front of the pan.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It sounds like he MAY have a manual trans. ie " feeling slipping in my clutch" just a thought.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like he MAY have a manual trans. ie " feeling slipping in my clutch" just a thought.
nope it's an auto. It is the same feeling that I get when the clutch goes out on my race bike so I was describing it as that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
sorry

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i would take the truck some place and have them do a complete flush on it and run a good oil in it

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts