Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Rotella syn, Have about 3000 miles on this oil and am getting change oil alert. I always go 7000-7500 miles on this oil. Problem is can't get alert off no matter what I do, (yes I know how to take it off normally) any ideas? Don't want to change oil yet, to dam cold.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You dont have to change the oil to reset the light. Keep tring it normally takes me a few times to get my light to go off.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
A tech2 can do it. EFI live might be able to also. Might try pulling UP on the gas pedal pretty hard just before trying. Our trucks always had a bad habit of flexing the firewall just enough that they would not reset.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Could be the oil sensor that is plugged into the pan is bad??

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys will keep trying tomorow

·
Registered
535 Posts
Timberwolf530;1586698; said:
Could be the oil sensor that is plugged into the pan is bad??
There are no oil sensors that have anything to do with oil life.

The "change oil light" is triggered primarily by mileage. Running the engine hot will cause this light to come on sooner, as will a couple other factors.

There is no sensor that tests the condition of the oil. It sounds like your oil life thing did not get reset when the oil was changed at ~7,000 miles. 3,000 miles later you hit the 10,000 mile trigger point.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you have the steering wheel controls you can do it with those too. It is a little easier than the other way.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had mine on for about 2 weeks and kept trying daily to get it off, I moved the floor mat and it went off first try. It was barely touching the mat too.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you have the steering wheel buttons, hold down the return button.

·
Registered
264 Posts
7m34life;1598549; said:
I had mine on for about 2 weeks and kept trying daily to get it off, I moved the floor mat and it went off first try. It was barely touching the mat too.
:exactly: When i worked at gm we always had to move the floor mats to get them to reset! You wouldnt think they were that touchy!!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
yellowroket;1599879; said:
:exactly: When i worked at gm we always had to move the floor mats to get them to reset! You wouldnt think they were that touchy!!!

No crap, I couldn't figure it out and then I just tried it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
So I guess you guys are not getting full throttle with your floor mats either. I have the steering wheel controls so I use that now but before I realized it I used to use the gas pedal method and I never had a problem with my floor mats in. I don't even remember pressing hard.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You don't really have to press hard but the pedal needs to extend full length.

·
Registered
121 Posts
7m34life;1598549; said:

yep,same thing here..take up the mat and it resets first try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts