Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a photo of my oem fuel filter I changed out today after only 16,586 miles. Some might say that I waited to long, I agree. I use to work on Diesel's in the coast guard and don't remember having to change the filters as often...marine diesel is different I guess.. I was suprised to see this much crap in the filter and will be changing on a more regular basis. BTW I did use additive about every third or fourth tank of fuel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i cange my filter every two oil changes or every 10k

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Fuel filter a tranny spin on get changed with the oil.
I kinda follow the DIC on oil, which puts me around 7k to 9k per oil change, so the tranny spin on is going a little longer than the 5k it should be on, and the fuel filter is changed a little too frequently, but it consolidates all of the service into one trip up the ramps and one afternoon instead of me being under the truck every 3k doing something different.

Here's my first filter at 9k.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Banned
735 Posts
This is a photo of my oem fuel filter I changed out today after only 16,586 miles. Some might say that I waited to long, I agree. I use to work on Diesel's in the coast guard and don't remember having to change the filters as often...marine diesel is different I guess.. I was suprised to see this much crap in the filter and will be changing on a more regular basis. BTW I did use additive about every third or fourth tank of fuel.
How did the inside of the filter housing look? Was there any rust in the bottom? Do you use any fuel additives?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I change mine every 10,000 miles also. :ro)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did the inside of the filter housing look? Was there any rust in the bottom? Do you use any fuel additives?__________________
The housing looked fine, but there was some sign of rust in the bottom. Yes I did use additives throughout the 16,000 miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If any of you have a Predator, I discovered you can monitor Desired fuel rail pressure, and Actual fuel rail pressure. When mine was starting to plug the Actual pressure started to drop quite a bit flooring it. It was the reason I was setting the 1093 code. Changed filter and no more codes, pressures stay the same flooring it Edge on Level 5.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Same thing with me.. The past 2 days I've been throwing 1093 codes.. I noticed the pressure is staying around 67-68PSa where the desired is anywhere from 80-100PSa. Going to order a filter today and change it out.. hopefully this will help. By the way, I'm only ont he 65hp pred setting.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I only have 17,000 miles on my truck. I've changed the OE filter three times all ready. I also have a 6 micron CAT pre oem filter that I've also changed three times. Since I added the pre filter I haven't changed the OE one. The last CAT filter I cut open and it looked good. It only costs $10 or so compared to the OE filter costing $30+. Plus remember the fuel has been nasty ever since the hurricanes hit the gulf region late last summer.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I change mine every other oil change usually about 7,000 miles and they are usually totally dirty when i cut them open, no rust though!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I changed mine for the first time today. I have 16,800 miles on it. It didnt look to bad .But from know on I think I will change it every 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I change mine every other oil change usually about 7,000 miles and they are usually totally dirty when i cut them open, no rust though!
Same here, every other oil change or around 10K miles. I have to ask, what are you using to cut your filter open and how do you do it? I would like to cut the next one open just to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Same here, every other oil change or around 10K miles. I have to ask, what are you using to cut your filter open and how do you do it? I would like to cut the next one open just to see what it looks like.
Try a hacksaw - you can get one at any hardware store.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have to ask, what are you using to cut your filter open and how do you do it? I would like to cut the next one open just to see what it looks like.
I use an exhaust pipe cutter that i got from Harbor Freight. clamp the filter in the vice and cut off the end. works good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hacksaw trapped in a vice worked fine for me...

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've used the chain type exhaust cutters. I bought a filter cutter last year for about $40. It works a lot better.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

i put in a vice and use a cut off wheel in a grinder:rolleyes: I'm very impatient a hack saw takes to long.LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts