Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to change the front and rear dif fluid in my "07" duramax for the first time "10,000 miles" and I'm wondering what type of spray cleaner you guys are using to flush out the old fluid from the housing and are you guys using new gaskets or something like perma-gasket or etc. Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Gaskets???? Just remove the drain plug and let it drain. I used some dino (i.e. cheap) fluid to flush out the rear a bit (front was fairly decent looking), let that drain completely (get some lunch) and then fill it up. Dead easy

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you do decide to remove the differential cover, you will find that there is no gasket only an RTV seal. Most of the major manufacturers are eliminating gaskets in favor of RTV gasket maker because the assembly process is more effeicent.

·
Registered
330 Posts
When I added my Mag-Hytec cover I cleaned it out with starting fluid. Cheap and leaves no residue.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Anything that breaks down oil (solvent) in a place where oil is suppose to be, just does not sound like a good idea to me. I least not without cleaning it out with warm soapy water then clean water first.
I think most drain and fill. If you really want to, change it, drive 5000 miles, change it again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Anything that breaks down oil (solvent) in a place where oil is suppose to be, just does not sound like a good idea to me.
..... If you really want to, change it, drive 5000 miles, change it again.
Exactly. Thats my approach. You can sometimes do more harm (ie. damage seals) that good if you introduce fluids that don't belong there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.