Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the % grade is on I-90 at Chamberlain, South Dakota?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2-5% if I am reading the sign right. Thank you, planning a trip to Yellowstone needed something to compare the passes to.

·
Administrator
15,705 Posts
2-5% if I am reading the sign right. Thank you, planning a trip to Yellowstone needed something to compare the passes to.
shows 5.5% grade.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been on that hill a few times, that is why I thought it would make a good reference point to a couple passes on hwy 14 on the way to Yellowstone. 5.5% is not 8% but gives me a good idea what to expect.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The grade on 14 depends on which you take at the top, 14 or 14A. I don't know what's wrong but I tried to download a picture of the sign at Burgess Junction and couldn't. It says 14A is 10% grade with 3600 ft drop in 10 mi. and 14 is 5-7% with 4600 ft drop in 18 mi.. Scenery is great on both. I've only run 14A west to east but have done 14 both ways

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would not take 14 through the Bighorns. Take 16 out of Buffalo to Ten Sleep and then up through Grey Bull. I have taken this route the last 3 years with my 31' 5th wheel in tow and it has some hefty grades but no where as bad as 14 or 14A. There are some RV forums out there that said to have your will in order if you plan on going down 14A with a trailer or RV. I was on 14A 5 years ago with a 2007 Avalanche with no trailer and it is not a trailer friendly route. I had to use low gear in the Avalanche and ride the brakes most of the way down. Headed that way again in 2 weeks!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I swear in some of the RV forums the guys are afraid if there's a guard rail present on a slight hill. As I said I've only pulled west to east on 14A and it is a good climb and beautiful scenery. I did it with my 02 ecsb 8.1 towing my 24' car trailer

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You guys should check out eastern Quebec. Seen grades of 12%. Get off the main highway some are 16%.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The last time I ran 16 it changed from rain to snow partway up then I caught up to a plow and started following him. A bit later a car caught up with us and stayed there until the top when the plow turned around. Within the next mi I lost that driver as they seemed to be scared to drive over a crawl on the unplowed road. By the time I got to the bottom it was rain. Driving West Mi. winter roads since 1960 has taught me a bit about driving on snow and ice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Going west to East is not the problem with 14A. Going up a long steep curvy grade is easy with the right truck. Going from East to West on a long curvy steep grade becomes a stopping or slowing down problem if you are not very careful. Not saying that it can not be done. Just saying it for safety only. If I had to go down it I could. I have some good experience going through the Rocky mountain the past few years pulling a 31', 12,000 lb 5th wheel. If you want to go that way, just be careful and take your time that's all. And by the way. I do not get flustered by snow since I was born and raised in northern Wisconsin and drive in it every year. Cheers, and happy towing!:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts