Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the benefits of a Diesel fuel with a higher cetane rating? I've been keeping my eyes open for a few moths now since I decided to get a new truck, and almost everywhere, the diesel is 40 cetane. I have seen one place that has 45 cetane (way out of my way 99.9% of the time), but that's it...

What would GM's stance be on cetane boost? I know they don't like additives... Would this fall in the same category as the emulsifyers/demulsifyers?

The only cetane boost I've found locally is Power Service, which I've heard a few people say negative things about PS products. Is their cetane boost Ok to use?

·
Registered
58 Posts
cougar, had the same question. I don't even have my dmax yet, told it would be in this week. Went to amsoil website and the had some good info on their cetane boost. It's supposed to run cleaner. The diesel in Europe has higher cetane and run cleaner than our diesel. I'm still researching.

Scott

·
Registered
791 Posts
The minimum cetane rating in Europe is 51. Most offer 55 cetane and recently they came out with 60 cetane rated diesel. From the ads they are saying that the step from 55 to 60 adds 5% in performance and/or 4% milage. Burns cleaner,too.
I´d be curious if 60 cetane could use a different tune in the power boxes to get even more horses ...???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts