Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using FPPF-Total Power as a fuel additive ... so far as I know it is helping but if pressed for hard evidence, I can't point to a single thing in my truck's performance as proof.

The performance of my truck has also never given me any indication that I need any sort of cetane booster. When I ordered a half case of Total Power, I also ordered a half case of FPPF-8+Cetane Improver. I can see some logic in adding the 8+ to tanks when I am towing but can see no sense in adding it when just driving around town. Is there something that I am missing that would give me a good reason to add the 8+ on a regular basis?

JimEdited by: JEBar

·
Registered
812 Posts
I don't know if it has been posted before, but there is a GM letter about additives. It recommends Stanadyne or Racor demulsifiers of which both have a cetane booster. You can go to www.stanadyne.com to look at the additives. No I am not a dealer, just did some research...

·
Registered
994 Posts
It probably depends on the Cetane Number of the diesel fuel you buy. The minimum cetane number that is spec'd to be dispensed from the pump is 40. I had measured some raw diesel pump fuel about a year ago and if I remember correctly, the cetane number was 47. From what I have read, as you get close to a cetane number of 50, there is no advantage in raising the number higher. I have been adding FPPF to my truck @ 3-4 ounces per 15 gallons. On my most recent fuel analysis report, the cetane index (which is a derived quantity) was 52.

I, like you, have noticed no mileage improvement by using these additives. My theory is that since my raw pump diesel has a fairly high cetane number to begin with, that the perfomance benefit it minimal. (I am using the fuel additive for the water emulsifying and lubricity (sp) properties of the additive).

Thats my 2 cents worth!!

Alan

Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
62 Posts
Doesn't the Total Power have a little Cetane boost in it?

I too am running a 50/50 of Total Power and +8 and might try dropping the +8 as a test on a couple of tanks to see what difference if any shows up.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aketay said:
I don't know if it has been posted before, but there is a GM letter about additives. It recommends Stanadyne or Racor demulsifiers of which both have a cetane booster. You can go to www.stanadyne.com to look at the additives. No I am not a dealer, just did some research...

aketay...

the emulsifier/demuslifier debate has been raging on this and other forums for months and many of us have probably reached the information overload point on this topic... I know I have .... a while back I decided to take the advise of a few folks who post on this forum (and the other one as well) and to go with an emulsifier ... guess time will tell if that was the right thing to do

OC DMAX...

about what I figured ... years ago I added an octane booster for a gasoline powered truck that seemed to reduce spark knock when I had it under a load ... my D'max had never given me any such reason to believe its fuel needs a boost ... adding 8+ when towing appears to be optional at best, will probably do so till I run out (which could be years
) because I have it and don't figure it can hurt

Jim

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I read somewhere todays diesel are designed around 50 cetane pump rating for optimum performance,find some, I dare you ... Does not necessarily mean power but perhaps a cleaner and higher emission standard ...

The emulsifier de-emulsifier debate lives on !!!! You know I use FPPF exclusively ... I buy my fuel from two sources now after my last incident .... I changed my fuel filter Friday prior to Dyno Day III .... There was a HUGE slug of water present ,WTF ...

I wasn't going to bother to bring it up ,but ... Once my case runs out ,I'll just be look'in cetane boost ,or switch brands as FPPF isn't getting it done IMO ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
MAC..... your filter is supposed to catch the big water. that's good. The presence of water in your filter does not mean FPPF isn't working. I still allows the filter to remove the water.... it's not truly dissolved, just dispersed. Your filter can still remove it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well crap Mackin....I just bought a case of the stuff, and now this. Never seems to be a consistent experience with these additivies. Want to do the right thing, but anymore you just don't know.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Hoot

That has to be labeled an assumption it was a big ONE TIME slug, IMO .... I'm basing it on every time I change my filter, water in one shape or form has been present, under the influence of FPPF ... Either in small amounts or bigger slugs ... The only way for me to confirm is to change brands, to me ....
I thought once emulsified and suspended it will stay, no?? If the OE will catch suspended water as mine is, under assumption, then it makes it even a bigger waste of coin ... I just find it hard to believe the water I seem to accumulate .... I don't visit two suspect stations in my area because of this,one having a above ground tank.... Both I use are high volume, one sells premium BP that I use the most ...

Mac

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mackin,

You might be getting more water at each fill up then you are aware of, or you might have a bunch in your tank that is getting up to your filter.

You might also have a bad fuel cap letting moisture into the tank.

The emulsifier won't handle a lot of water, just very small normal amounts.

I just changed my oem filter(8000 miles) with no sign of water what so ever and have run the FPPF for about 7900 of those miles.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
DalDMax said:
Mackin,

You might be getting more water at each fill up then you are aware of, or you might have a bunch in your tank that is getting up to your filter.

You might also have a bad fuel cap letting moisture into the tank.

The emulsifier won't handle a lot of water, just very small normal amounts.

I just changed my oem filter(8000 miles) with no sign of water what so ever and have run the FPPF for about 7900 of those miles.

Could very well be my tank is a water storage facility,you never know .... Perhaps I'll drop her down completely when I do the Nicktane install ,Might not be a bad idea ...

Mac

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mac,

You might need to be watching for someone hanging around your truck with a bottle of drinking water

If you are thinking of doing the Nictane filter install and thinking you might have water in the tank, it would be an excellent time to drop the tank and see what comes out.

You might also try filling up a couple of clean 5 gallon gas cans with the diesel you are putting in your tank to see exactly what it is you are getting.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
MAC as George Morrison stated... it's what happens to water that lays around that is the concern. The filter will catch the the big stuff including some dispersed water but anything else that gets by... most likely small quantitues, you don't want accumulating in other parts of the fuel system.

Emulsifing additives will not keep your water trap dry by any means. It doesn't handle visible quantities as I understand it. Your filter water trap is for that.

Just as demulsifing additives cannot handle larger quantities of water.

Trap the big stuff and disperse the rest.... that's my motto.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mackin...are you getting the Water in Fuel light?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts