Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Any One Have A Easy Way Of Removing The Screws Once The Salt Corodes Them In The Rim ??

Arm

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
What screws are you talking about?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
What vehicle are referring to?

My son had a 1992 Olds Bravada with the alloy wheels and the last time he went to rotate the tires, the screw holding one of the center caps corroded and we were not able to get it off no matter what we tried. We tried tapping on it and spraying WD-40 on it but it didn't help.

Ended up selling the truck shortly thereafter before we could get it off. The lady that bought it said that her boyfriend should be able to get it off, and that's the last we heard about it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sometimes at work we have to drill them out and retap them. sometimes you can reuse the same size screws, but other times they need to be larger diameter. Whichever way you do it make sure you put neversieze on the new screws when you put them in.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes at work we have to drill them out and retap them. sometimes you can reuse the same size screws, but other times they need to be larger diameter. Whichever way you do it make sure you put neversieze on the new screws when you put them in.
THATS WHAT I FIGURED I WOULD HAVE TO DO TO REMOVE THEM.. WAS HOPING SOME ONE HAD A TRICK TO MAKE IT EASIER.

THEY REALLY DON'T LOOK TO BAD WITH OUT THE CAPS..

THANKS FOR THE REPLY..

ARM

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
These can get tight even without salt since it's usually a steel bolt being threaded into an aluminum wheel. A dab of grease or never sieze on the threads will inhibit the adhesion. Good luck getting these out, hopefully you can do it without damaging the wheel.

Check out post #17 in this shop tips & tricks thread... it may help.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81461

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
THATS WHAT I FIGURED I WOULD HAVE TO DO TO REMOVE THEM.. WAS HOPING SOME ONE HAD A TRICK TO MAKE IT EASIER.

THEY REALLY DON'T LOOK TO BAD WITH OUT THE CAPS..

THANKS FOR THE REPLY..

ARM
Friendly Note: You may want to turn off your caps lock when posting.

Typing with all caps on is considered ANGRY shouting in internet etiquette. :)

If your wheels don't have any plastic pieces, your might try spraying WD-40 and then heating them with a heat gun.

As posted earlier, once you get them off, you should coat the screws with anti-seize before putting them back on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts