Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Diesel Technician, Formerly Mwy123
963 Posts
I'm stumped here. 16 lml with 73k on the clock. I remote started it this morning like always before I leave out, took a little longer getting ready than usual and went to restart it and got nothing. I didn't think much about it until I key started it and the cel was illuminated. I ran through the dic in the truck and everything appeared normal. Used my edge monitor to scan codes and it couldn't find any. Drove to work and rescanned, nothing. Any ideas before I send it to the dealer for diagnosis. Thanks, Mike

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weak battery maybe? I have always had crap luck with factory batteries and it was in the low 20s this morning.

·
Administrator
15,706 Posts
The easiest thing to check first is those batteries. Remove them and take them to your local Auto Parts store and ask them to individually load test them.
If one or both fail the test, replace them both as a matched set

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to cross my fingers that if they are bad they will hold until the weekend. I won't be off the same time the parts house is open until Sunday.

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
Need better scanner.
But, I'd hazard a guess at a failed glow plug.

If it key started, it probably ain't the batteries.

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do they eat glowers that soon?

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
I've got LLY, LBZ, LMM, AND LML motors. At least one every series took a glow plug under warranty. Mind you, the rest of each series (I have at least 3 of each) did not take a glow plug until much later on.

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got LLY, LBZ, LMM, AND LML motors. At least one every series took a glow plug under warranty. Mind you, the rest of each series (I have at least 3 of each) did not take a glow plug until much later on.
Interesting. I'll get her to the dealer and see if it's the glower. If I have a dead one, should they all be replaced? And when did GM go to top post batteries :wtf:

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Interesting. I'll get her to the dealer and see if it's the glower. If I have a dead one, should they all be replaced? And when did GM go to top post batteries :wtf:
We are all anticipating what code you have.
Normally When a glow plug fails replace all on the same side so that means four. While they have your fender well off it’s a lot cost affective this way.
Part Number: 12639701 GLOW PLUG,(ACDelco #9G).
Dealer cost is around $36.94 each
Just bought some ACDelco #9G at Advance Auto $13 each dealer replaced $186

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
My LML had one replaced under warranty.
It was only one that ever failed.

The only glowplug I've had to replace in any of the dmaxes I've run.

·
963 Posts
Late update on this post, but I took her in to the dealer and got it scanned. Def tank heating element failed. First they tried to tell me it was not covered on my warranty, but I changed his mind. The service writer told me they pop all the time and GM cant figure out why, so they just keep replacing them as they come in. No charge to me and they kept it about 8 hours and I picked it back up.

Im not sure how true it is, but the service writer told me DEF with turn to slush about 15 degrees. It has a temp probe in the tank for when it gets cold to turn on the heaters. I asked him if it could have been bad for while but never turn on the light as it never got cold and he said he was almost sure thats what happened. He said when the cold snap comes in, they will get truck after truck after truck that will need them swapped. He also said it was an $800 fix if not under warranty. What a sh*tty system...

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
Well, $800?

The part LISTS for only $275.

Attachments

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont use this particular dealership much, just a preference to the one I bought my truck from. I think he was trying to feel me out to see what I would go for. I told him I thought I had a copy of the TSB on it some where and started fiddling with my phone. He typed around on his computer and said "wait, I think there is something in here about that." No charge to me. They call them the stealership for a reason. What I was really looking for was the contact email for GM Customer Service. I already had to get a hold to them once over a broken piece of plastic at 36200 miles and they wanted to charge me to fix it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I dont use this particular dealership much, just a preference to the one I bought my truck from. I think he was trying to feel me out to see what I would go for. I told him I thought I had a copy of the TSB on it some where and started fiddling with my phone. He typed around on his computer and said "wait, I think there is something in here about that." No charge to me. They call them the stealership for a reason. What I was really looking for was the contact email for GM Customer Service. I already had to get a hold to them once over a broken piece of plastic at 36200 miles and they wanted to charge me to fix it.
I had a DEF heater failure, when I called with the DIC code, they looked me up in the system to get the VIN, said bring it in, covered under extended warranty. free loaner car while we fix it. No hassle.
Mine threw a code I could read with my scangauge.

BTW, this happened last summer when temps were never below even 70f at night. It will detect a failed heater element even if it doesn't need to be turned on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts