Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a split level thing going on where you can never get all 3 levels comfortable. I'm in a climate were we are heating half the year and cooling the other half.

The thin lines on the drawing are a railing so its more or less open between the 3 levels with also open stairways. Ceiling is proabbly 8' on that top level at the wall and about 11 at the peak. To that mid level its like 16" at the high point.

My original thought was going to be location #1 but then thought about maybe #2 but then #3 started making the most sense. Location 3 would put the blades past the ledge of the upper level and be partially over the stairs to the lower level. Thinking that may give the best overall circulation for the whole space. We could pull air up the stairs or push it down depending on the season. The upper level should get flow because it will either hit or be drawn across the ceiling.

Open to hear thoughts. Ceiling finish is in good shape so I don't want to have to move it. I have a big 68" fan that is reversible and variable speed and such.

·
Administrator
15,966 Posts
I would recommend a fan in either 3 or 4 location..
It would circulate more air and help moderate temps.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
My split level house is set up where you come in the front entance and there is a small landing and you have to go either up to the livingroom or down to the basement/theater.

If your split is like mine, remove the chandelier above the front entrance door and replace it with a celiling fan. Blow it down in the winter, up in the summer.

I did this and it makes a HUGE difference. I don't have a picture of my house right with me, but here is a pic I found on google that shows what I am talking about:

Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts