I have the Casper's Electronics
Headlight Brightener Harness
#102064 for 9005/9006 headlights.

The install is a no-brainer since
the connectors are all key'd, but
what HAS got me confused is the
"key" part of the harness to
make both high/low beams operate
simultaneously when Brights are selected.

I'm having some strange effects.
With the key inserted what I would
think to be correctly, I get BOTH
high/low beams when in Low (NOT high)
beam selected. When I select High beam,
I only get highs though. The Highs/Lows
work normally without the key.....

This is on a 2004 2500HD. Could the
OEM relay wiring be different than
previous years? (I did see FirstDiesel's
warning about grounds in a different thread)

THANKS for any insight!

T.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
what should happen is when the low's are on, you just get lows.

when the highs are on you get lows + highs together. in stock config you just get highs when the highs are on, not both high & low.

i know the key is reversible based on the year i believe. try flipping it around and see what happens.

Nick

·
Registered
612 Posts
Added Kennedy's wiring harness to my truck wlong with brighter bulbs .. his harness works like OEM .... have you checked with maker of your wires to see if they mean for them to act as you have discribed? ..... Jim

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Diode in backwards. Or maybe you have the wrong wires in the wrong spots if the diode doesnt flip swap the wires you might be using the high for low and vise versa. i believe the plugs are the same, dont know for sure.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Plugs should be keyed and unless you trim them off you can't reverse them. Edited by: FirstDiesel

·
Registered
89 Posts
JEBar,

FYI -- Caspers makes Kennedy's harness (they are the same item -- I purchased mine from Kennedy and it arrived in a Caspers package)

Joe

·
Registered
89 Posts
Terry,

When I installed my "Kennedy" harness I seem to recall having a similiar problem, I will check to see if I can remember what I had to do to correct it. I recall two wires being in the wrong positions on the relays.

When you have "High beams" only is the high beam indicator illuminated on the dash?

JoeEdited by: Joe Pool

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joe Pool said:
Terry,

When I installed my "Kennedy" harness I seem to recall having a similiar problem, I will check to see if I can remember what I had to do to correct it. I recall two wires being in the wrong positions on the relays.

When you have "High beams" only is the high beam indicator illuminated on the dash?

Joe
Hey Joe, sorry for the long no-reply time, been out
on a BoyScout campout all weekend....

Anyway, with the high-beams on, only the high-beam
will illuminate, but when in "normal" position,
both highs/lows are on - with the key installed.
SO - basically, its almost like its backwards...
I did try reverseing the key. Operation is then
just as if the key were not installed at all.

Thanks for any insight...

PS: the lights MUST be brighter because I
had several people flash me with only the
lowbeams on. Granted, I have Silverstars
installed too though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Terry,

With the diode out do the lights work as expected? Meaning your lows are on when they should be and the highs are on only when you select the hi beams?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DalDMax said:
Terry,

With the diode out do the lights work as expected? Meaning your lows are on when they should be and the highs are on only when you select the hi beams?
Yes they do work "normal" with the key/diode not
installed in the harness.

Thanks for any insight,

T.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Almost sounds like the harness might be wired wrong.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If the harness was hooked up wrong, I'd expect that your headlights wouldn't work correctly with the plug removed. From what I understand, all it does is provide current to the Hi Beam relay when there is current on the Low Beam side, without causing the truck to realize it is happening.

If you can, I'd go back to where you got it and tell them what's happening and ask for a new plug.

I can't believe that they would change the wiring between the 03 and 04 trucks, but it is GM and their engineers have to keep busy doing something

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I can't speak for a 2004 model but I purchased mine from John Kennedy and it did not work. I had to do some troubleshooting. Ended up cutting some wires and reversing others. My truck isn't available right now but you can see in this shot the cuts and rewire....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DalDMax said:
If the harness was hooked up wrong, I'd expect that your headlights wouldn't work correctly with the plug removed. From what I understand, all it does is provide current to the Hi Beam relay when there is current on the Low Beam side, without causing the truck to realize it is happening.

If you can, I'd go back to where you got it and tell them what's happening and ask for a new plug.

I can't believe that they would change the wiring between the 03 and 04 trucks, but it is GM and their engineers have to keep busy doing something
Hehh - well I got it direct from Caspers Electronics
so I doubt I can just "take it back"... Besides,
it works fine for "normal" ops, I just don't get the
advertised "both high/low beams on at same time" feature....

Hoot, I saw the pics on your website, but I didn't
know why you had to cut the wires at the time.
Theres only pictures, no words explaining what
problem is being addressed in the pics... ;)

Thanks!

T.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Mine worked fine right out of the box. 3 months later it got flakey when I checked I had some bad grounds. (Thanks Mac)

I grounded to something I thought was a better ground than it was!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think I looked at that one. Does it provide external power?? Some of them just use the stock wires and add jumpers to make both lights go on at the smae time. You really want it to use relay control of external power to take the load off the stock wires which are undersized.

On edit, I saw this kit in a catalog last night. Looks like it only adds the headlights on at the same time ability. Doesn't replace the undersized wiring.

I'd stick with the JK harness or a similar one and gain the benefit of the bigger wiring.Edited by: FirstDiesel

·
Registered
89 Posts
Terry,

I had a chance to look at my headlight wiring today.

With the harness plugged into the relays and viewed from the bottom, this is how mine are wired.

............... ...............

1 2 1 2

3 4 3 4

............... ...............

tab tab

High relay Low relay

1: grn & lt grn brn & brn

2: blk/yel & blk/yel blk/wht & blk/wht

3: grn/yel & grn/yel brn/wht & brn/wht

4: red red

tab = locking tab on harness.

See if yours is wired the same.

JoeEdited by: Joe Pool

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Anyone got any tips for installing this on an 03? I.e. Which side to mount relays and where? How'd you run the harness across? Under the plastic radiator cover? Got one today from Casper and thought I'd get some advice before jumping in ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts