Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got fed up with the crappy am/fm only crappy radio that came in my truck, went to best buy and snagged the cheapest CD player they had at 70 bucks plus the install kit, harness and GM ant. adapter. Total cost, 124 bucks..neat. Install was a pain due to harness being about 2 feet long when complete, shortened it considerably. Chevy in thier infinite wisdom does not have a switched accessory in the harness for the radio, had to outsource that to the fuse box wire that is used for CB. The kit for 17 bucks is pretty slick, has a pocket underneath the radio since the GM one is wicked tall.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
did you notice no more key in ignition buzzer. Also no retained accessory power.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
also will affect your back-up chimes, memory seats, low fuel, door/hatch ajar and others.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Nice job with the install and pics!
Now you are going to want to get a AMP and a nice 10" sub.

I love my music and by the looks of it you like yours also.

·
Registered
169 Posts
is there a way to retain all the chimes and still replace the radio? I am looking to remove the console and replace radio set up with a sony/xm/disc player soon. Info is appreciated. AkDually61

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I can understand it gets rid of all the chimes, which is great, but why would it affect the retained acc power? That should be something seperate from the radio since it keeps power for windows as well I would think. I am curious because on trucks 02-older you can replace the stock stereo no problem with RAP for the stereo or windows. 'Course on those older trucks you have to pull the box under the steering column and pry the dinger off the board. Worth it though.

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
NoWake200,

I assume you have a sub in your truck.... Where did you put it? I have a crew cab and I simply can't find a place in the truck that is large enough to fit a sub...

Chad

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Now that I think about it, my dad's base model had no RAP to begin with, so I wonder if new base trucks have it?

Akdually- I am sure on your 02 truck that you can replace the radio with no ill consequences. It has the same radio as mine had, which has nothing to do with the chimes. The dinger in yours is in the box under the column.

sp33d- I have seen cc trucks with the sub box behind the back seats, but it could only fit 10s... Wasn't deep enough for a 12. That is one problem I see if I buy a cc, my $200 12" sub box that fits perfect under my ext cab back seat won't fit under a cc back seat. Arg...

·
Registered
169 Posts
_nar_, Appreciate it. I saw so many differant post that I got confused. getting rid of the dr,seatbelt and other chimes might be a good idea. thank you again for your help, AkDually61

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Does it sound better?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
sp33d-

Look up BlueOx03. He has two eights in his rig behind the rear seat. Anyone at the Michigan Dyno day can attest to the sound.
He can give you some insight on what you can do...

Ty

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
tysmith said:
sp33d-

Look up BlueOx03. He has two eights in his rig behind the rear seat. Anyone at the Michigan Dyno day can attest to the sound.
He can give you some insight on what you can do...

Ty
I have personally seen his truck but didn't get a chance to eye up the sound.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had 2 Kicker Solobaric 10's in my '01 and they sounded great. Haven't had a chance to put them in the '03 yet. They are in a box that fits right under the rear seat in a crew cab, the only drawback to that is no more under seat storage and you have to move your jack.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts