Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CB question for all the CB experts.

I have two uniden CBs....one has great reception and the squelch(?) stays in the same place were the other one kind of goes in and out I am always have to adjust the squelch(?). The RF meter is also sliding from high to low.....this is with the RF turned all the way up.

I hope what I am trying to say makes sence.

Any info.....also good ground and SWR.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you're comparing the 2 radios by swapping them in and out of the same vehicle, then I'd say take or send both radios to a good tech and have the problem radio set up to match the good radio, as the receive can be tuned just like the transmit. That is assuming that they are the same vintage as boards and components change over time. If they're giving different results off different installations, then there's too many variables to go thru that may not be an issue, depending on how you're testing them.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Does anyone know of a CB that is capable of scanning channels for ongoing conversations? If a simple car radio can do this, why can not a CB?

·
Registered
514 Posts
It seems to me that someone does make one like that Deadeye. It may have been Magnum but I'm not sure. Seems more likely that it was on an export radio though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Export radios are 10 meter, not 11 meter CB. They can be converted to work on 11 meter though. Magnum is a brand, just like Cobra, Uniden, Galaxy or what have you.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Deadeye,

FYI:

I know I'm going to show my age here, but I know back in the mid 70's (during hayday of CB radios) there was such a CB available.

I don't know if one is available now though. Maybe someone here help you with that?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Steve;

Thanks,

I will keep looking. I want to use one for a "bear" scanner to listen to nearby truckers so I don't get pulled over anymore.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
deadeye my midland will scan chanels... midland 79-290 small import... got lotsa extras...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Are the two radios using different antennas (2 diff radios in 2 different vehicles and 2 diff antennas) or same antenna and switching the two radios into and out of the same vechicle? Possible incomplete ground or load problem?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the CB guy check the ground and SWR.

I had this radio connected to two different antennas, once in the Peterbilt I drove and now the Duramax. It is giving me the same problem. The antenna I am using now is the same antenna the good radio was connected to.

I am going to call the CB dude and see what he says. The thing that really sucks is I droped alot of money into it....tune and conex board. I just want the ears to works correct.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Deadeye said:
Steve;

Thanks,

I will keep looking. I want to use one for a "bear" scanner to listen to nearby truckers so I don't get pulled over anymore.

Funny you stated it like that....

I have a Uniden "Bear Tracker" Scanner. Not only does it scan highway patrol freq. but will also scan CB channels 1-40, police freq., weather channels, etc.

I have seen them on sale at local Flying J truck stops for about $100. and it fits in the top cubby hole in the console of a '03 or '04 where I have mine.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Up here police don't use FM radios anymore. They use encrypted fleetnet running at cellular frequencies through the cell system. No more easy listening. not saying it can't be done.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have the CB dude check the antenna connection inside the radio. I have seen a few with poor solder joints that only show up when installed and running down the road, the cable will wiggle just enuf to break the connection now and then. Since we all check SWR while parked, and tune radios on a bench - the loose connection might not show up until under stress.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
HD-Nate said:
Deadeye said:
Steve;

Thanks,

Funny you stated it like that....

I have a Uniden "Bear Tracker" Scanner. Not only does it scan highway patrol freq. but will also scan CB channels 1-40, police freq., weather channels, etc.

I have seen them on sale at local Flying J truck stops for about $100. and it fits in the top cubby hole in the console of a '03 or '04 where I have mine.

what model number do you use and or recommend. I am checking out ebay. Lots of stuff but I don't know which one will work in a truck.Edited by: Deadeye

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave Ski,

I will ask him about that. I looks like next week I'll have a chance to get it checked.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey No Wake,

What that sounds like to me is a cold solder joint in that radio. The trouble you are describing is almost cetainly a loss of RF reaching the receiver circuit. Meaning the antenna connections inside of the radio are not providing a path to the receiver front end. Since the unit works at times it is likely not a component failure, but likely a bad connection. (Cold or broken solder joint) It could also possibly be a intermittent RF gain pot (the RF knob) but I doubt it.

Now, having said all of that. Do you have a sentimental reason to keep using this problem unit? For the price of CB's these days I would chuck it in the garbage, buy a new one, and end my frustration!

Good Luck,

Troy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts