Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a cobra cb, looking for good info for an antenna,coax,mic,etc.
Thinking of a Wilson 1000 or Wilson 2000 w/ magnetic mount. Road King mic, and a better quality coax.
Would like to know everyone's opinions, I've searched here and other sites and even talked to a few truckers. "Wilson" is what I'm hearing about. I know I have heard a lot about Firestick here, just wanna buy something good the first time.(second time) I bought some cheap crap at a conv. store to get me by. :eek::
Thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
As a trucker myself I have a Cobra 29 LTD Classic Dale Earnhardt Edition that has a connex board and tuned and peaked. I run a Wilson 2000 short shaft with a Road King 56 mic. I like the Wilson because they are a steel whip. The Firesticks are OK but to rigid for my application. I deliver and set up panalized homes for Wausau Homes and I am in the woods alot. If your gonna run a single ant., get 18 ft of coax with sealed connectors(not crimped)for best perfomance.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
If you're not running it in a big rig, just run dual Firesticks and you'll get great reception and output. I have what used to be an 8' Wilson that wa given to me and I love it but, it's too tall, at least whats left of it:eek: .
I am going to dual firesticks and have heard nothing but good things about them. Just beware of the look-a-likes that claim the same gain.

Mark

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have dual firestik 2's and i love em. They're 3' long and fiberglass construction. East screw-type length adjustment. I have them too close to be a quarter wave apart like they should be, but i had no trouble getting a 1.2 swr and get great reception. Hopefully i can get some pics of my install up here, i just gotta get some time cuz it's snowing here and my plow's yelling at me!

-mike

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, I think I would like the look of the firesticks better, but I can't decide, I have read and heard LOTS of good stuff about the wilson2000, only thing with it is ....How long of a shaft do I need? I want to mount it between cab and toolbox on the bed lip.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I used a mirror mount and modified it to fit between the cab and bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a mirror mount and modified it to fit between the cab and bed.
single 4' firestick?? Is it relatively easy to get a low SWR with such, are you gettin out far? what about recieve? I just want the best, even if I don't have an amp/booster.(yet) I am really new to this but I want to get out there far and pickup from afar. All the truckers I've talked to say the wilson is the only way to go, what is your opinion on that? How much better can the wilson be over the firestick?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
3' firestick, my radio is peaked. I have good range and good reception with this setup. I need a ground strap to get my SWR down. A wilson 2000 won't fit the way I have mine mounted, as far as what's better, I dunno. It works good for me even though I was told to get a Wilson.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts