Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install the CB.. Wanted to ask you guys where you have the CB mounted and where you have the antenna mounted. I have an 03 and I was going to mount it in one of the center cubby holes but then I'll have to add an external speaker. Also, I'm having a huge dilemer about where to mount he antenna. Any help would greatly appreciated as usual

ThanksEdited by: blowingsmoke

·
Registered
15 Posts
blowingsmoke,

I too am interested in installing a CB but have not seen any threads about this subject except yours. I have an 04 and there is a good sized cubby hole down at the bottom of the dash just before the cup holder? Now to find the right sized cb and I should be good to go. The antenna looks to be the harder part as far as location is concerned
.Please keep us informed as to what you come up with. I appreciate it.

twebb

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a scanner in my truck...no transmitter, just a receiver. I mounted it inside the stash box between the front seats. It is out of sight, easily accessed, and fits perfectly. I ran an external speaker to the drivers side of the center console, behind the FM radio-CD player. The speaker sits just inside the console, next to the accelerator. It too is hidden from sight, yet works exceptionally well. The antenna is a glass mount on the rear windshield. The only difference with a CB would be routing the microphone to a convienent location. Just a thought...

Kevin

·
Registered
958 Posts
There was a fellow selling stainless steel antenna brackets for the drivers side, which would mount an antenna in the identical spot as the radio antenna on the other side and look factory..

I bought one but haven't installed it yet. There was a thread about it at TDP, anyone have a link?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I mounted a CB in an ’02 2500HD. The truck has bench seats so we unbolt the center trim panel below the radio and A/C control(where the swing down cup holders are on some trucks) and mounted the CB in that area. Running the wiring was easy as all we had to do was tuck it up underneath the dash. Right now the antenna is mounted in the bed but I ordered a bracket off a member on another forum. You can read about it in the link below.

Click here
Edited by: y2kboti

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My CB fits in the cubby near the drinks holders.. - If I put it there I'm going to have to run an external speaker - but, as I don't use that cubby for anything I think that's where it's going. As for the antenna, I was going to route the cable up to the Bed light and cut a notch out of the bed light and feed it through there and seal it with silicone, or run the cable to the bed and mount on the top of the bed between the cab and bed.. It a tough on to figure out.

Camstyn : I looked at that bracket - right now I have a 4ft Fire Stick which Is just going to look a bit silly attached to that bracket. I like the look of a mag mount on the roof - Makes it look like a giant RC truck
- trouble is they scratch.. - I dunno - Was just looking to bounce it off you guys.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My only suggestion would be to NOT use any silicone product to seal anything on the exterior of your truck. Silicone caulk is highly over rated, and over used in the auto industry. In an interior application, like bathrooms and kitchens its okay, for exterior applications the ONLY sealant I use is 3M 5200 polyurathane sealant. It is the only sealant I use on my boats as well, both above and below the waterline. It will not break down, discolor, peel, mildew, or pull away like silicone will. It costs more, $6 to $8 per tube, but a $45K truck is worth it.

Just my 2cents worth,

Kevin

·
Registered
845 Posts
I installed CBs in both a truck with center console, and one without. The one I mounted on the drivers side of the console...I uggh drilled holes for the bracket and bolted it right down, Its been working fine for 3 years now.

On the other non console truck. I bent a piece of steel into a upside down "7" and bolted the steel right into the floor, and then drilled holes in the steel for the CB bracket. I like it this was because the steel has some "spring" to it and doesnt exert the CB to bouncing and banging around.

For the antenna I wired it down through the metal bracket that is a support for the dash(left side of tranny hump). Wired it down through and under the door jamb covers on the floor....and upthrough the panels for rear seatbelts under the headliner and out through the center high mounted stop light. Theirs enough clearance So you dont have to solder on connectors. Its a magnent mount Wilson Antenna

I gotta figure out this digital camera stuff so I can post pics

Bill

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installing the CB isn't a problem (done it many time thus far
) - I wanted to see if you guys had pics or other suggestions for locations.

TheChevyHDMan : That Mag mount sounds just like what I was thinking of doing.. - Did you cut the light lens? Did you re seal it like above not using silicone..?

Thanks Y'all

·
Registered
845 Posts
BlowinSmoke. I trimmed it back A tiny bit (brake lense), because the wire is too thick, And it left a gaping hole. I trimmed it down say 1/8-1/4 inch and tightened it down, then put a line of clear silicon on the top of the lense to prevent any possible leaks. Its the best mount Ive seen yet for ontop the roof......Nothing looks crappier than a wire stretching to the center of the roof from the extended cab door....Or like my lameass brother running up the whole back of the cab too the roof.

Im actually running two wires up and through their, CB and XM...been fine for 2 years now

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Here's my cb ... a Galaxy 929 ...had to do some trimming to make it fit but it's a good fit, solid, no rattles, etc. you can see the small radio shack speaker in the upper right cubby hole which works real well. I am using the bracket pictured in a few posts up ... run a 2' Firestick locally so I can fit in garage and a 4' Firestik on longer trips. CB is wired directly to battery.

·
Registered
514 Posts
When using that SoMnDmax antenna mount, a 2' whip with a Firestick Quick Connect is pretty close to the same height as the AM/FM antenna. After seeing Tophog's pics 2 other things came to mind.

1. If you're going to mount the radio in the console then buy a radio with a mic connection on the face. I have the DX-959 and my mic connector is on the side of the radio chasis.

2. You may need to think about where to mount an external speaker. I put mine in the overhead cubby that supposedly conceals a garage door opener. Small speaker for a boat from West Marine has better sound than a much bigger Cobra external that I have in my other truck.

Nice install Tophog.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Actually at the moment I'm running a 2' Everhardt Tiger fiberglass antenna ... not as thick as the firestik or wilsons and looks much better being so short. The cb antenna barely clears my garage door but my radio antenna hits by about 1/2" so my cb antenna is a tad shorter then the radio. I did something wrong too (dumb luck) as my SWR with both the 2' and 4' antenna's was right at .5 ...so I didn't do any further tuning and it talks really well.Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anyone ever consider mounting a cb in the overhead console? I have a small Uniden 520 xl, seems it might fit. Might try to rig something up over the next couple weeks.

I also ordered that bracket to mount the cb antenna opposite the radio antenna. Looks like a nice setup.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Good idea except for anyone planning to mount their Attitude controller there.

I received my CB bracket in the mail today and will be going down for pick up a 36" Firestik antenna. I'll be sure to take some pics of the bracket, install and CB mount/location.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Topdog, very nice install...nice radio as well.

That is were I want to mount mine! How much cutting/trimming did you have to do to get it to fit and what tool did you use? Also how hard was it to get the center out to do all the trimming?

On my old truck I mounted the ant on the inside of the bed by the foward post hole. I used the heavy duty mirror mount...just the one side were the coax goes into it. I ran the coax up though the post hole made for a real clean look.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I had to enlarge the console faceplate opening about 1/8" inch along the bottom so the CB would fit thru the opening. I did everything with a dremel tool however it was't the best tool for the job...seems like I always melt plastic parts rather then cut. In the 03+ trucks there is some obstruction inside the dash area that prevented my CB from sliding in far enough ...which I had to grind down ... a plastic hump I think that provides a support for a cassette deck or something ... not a big deal or difficult by any means.

I opted to enlarge the console faceplate opening by cutting along the bottom so any imperfections are not visible :) It's hard cutting hard plastic with a dremel tool ... I would almost use the word "melt" vice "cut". The faceplate is simply removed by a firm "tug".

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Topdog, thanks for the info...did you use anything to secure the unit or did you just slide it in?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts