Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1994 K2500 Suburban 6.5 turbo.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering why the sticker on the driver side valve cover would have Catalyst on it? It is a vin F engine and not a California model. Suburban was originally purchased in Oregon. Looking at the exhaust I see nothing except a muffler and it all looks stock.

·
Administrator
16,016 Posts
Just wondering why the sticker on the driver side valve cover would have Catalyst on it? It is a vin F engine and not a California model. Suburban was originally purchased in Oregon. Looking at the exhaust I see nothing except a muffler and it all looks stock.
It could be that the valve cover was replaced at one time and that is what the Previous Owner used :unsure:
If it had a Cat or soot trap as it is sometimes called it would look like this:

and be located just after the down pipe...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya nothing like that on the truck and that is possible since so much work went into this truck before I bought it. Strange thing is I wonder why a used valve cover when they spent almost 6k doing everything else brand new like heads, IP, turbo injectors and such. Now just left figuring out all the little issues it has.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
It seems like I read (related to the 5.7 diesels) that when they added a computer that was considered a catalyst because it was managing things with the goal of lowering emissions. That didn't happen on the 5.7's till the final year of 85 and it wasn't anything crazy like a PMD. I think it just ran things like the EGR and possibly timing.

As far as if there was a soot trap or not maybe not. There were obviously games being played all the time with the badging and GVW to take advantage of different rules in different places so who knows, maybe it never had one.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like I read (related to the 5.7 diesels) that when they added a computer that was considered a catalyst because it was managing things with the goal of lowering emissions. That didn't happen on the 5.7's till the final year of 85 and it wasn't anything crazy like a PMD. I think it just ran things like the EGR and possibly timing.

As far as if there was a soot trap or not maybe not. There were obviously games being played all the time with the badging and GVW to take advantage of different rules in different places so who knows, maybe it never had one.
Sounds about right with the game playing they were doing back then, thank you,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts