Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway.

Does anyone know if I can LEGALLY remove the CAT?

If I can't, is it worth buying an aftermarket system or just replacing/removing the factory muffler?

·
Registered
994 Posts
You cannot legally remove the CAT. It is part of the emission system on the vehicle and is used to control the particulate matter in the diesel exhaust. Removal violates federal and Calif law. At this time however, there is no mandatory vehicle inspection for diesel powered vehicles in the State,,,,,,,,,

I know Banks and TTS make CAT back exhaust systems. This keeps it completely legal.

In the topic at the link below, there is a discussion about a CAT back exhaust and anticipated benefits.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4109&PN=1

By the way, what city do you live in?

On edit: I'm seeing more people from Orange County surfacing all the time here on the Place.Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in Lake Forest.

I didn't think I could but I thought I'd ask.

I'm getting ready to purchase an EGT and Boost gauge and want some way to free up the exhaust. I feel limited by the Cat and the exhaust piping from the turbo to the Cat.

With the weight of the 5th I pull for family outings I'm worried about heating things up too much.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Will the system for non cat . conv. fit on vehicles with cat. If cat was removed?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Yes

Unless they changed some hanger locations it should be easy as it gets ....

Mac

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I left my cat on to keep it legal. I pull 7X20 goose neck cow trailers and loaded going 60 on level ground I see about 750-800 degrees. Not a problem in my book. The highest temp I have seen with the juice/attitude in program one with my foot in it was 1075 pulling the trailer. I use the banks cat back with new style muffler...no drone.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ox, A thing you aim for on the road.... Kidding

I don't think anyone would tell if you dont if you did the removal. What would they make you do if you bought the truck living in Nevada or Oregon and then moved to the state where everything seems to cause cancer? I doubt there would be any issues there.

JMHO, MN

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
nassdmax said:
Ox, A thing you aim for on the road.... Kidding

I don't think anyone would tell if you dont if you did the removal. What would they make you do if you bought the truck living in Nevada or Oregon and then moved to the state where everything seems to cause cancer? I doubt there would be any issues there.

JMHO, MN

Not so.... New Federal regs for diesel emissions went into effect 01-01-04. That's the reason you've got new engines from everybody including the LLY Dmax. So it's always been illegal to remove emissions equipment, now that it's a 50 State standard every one of them has to have those.

Granted if your State doesn't have an inspection program for diesels, they will. It will probably come as a result of Federal boys stipulating it for the continuance of some obscure aid program, but could be instituted by State Legislators looking for some additional revenue.

IF you remove it, I'd suggest keeping the system since you might have to re-install it before too long and CAT's are expensive.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Terrain Twister,

There are three choices to get rid of the Cat restriction:

1. punch it out - least recommended due to exhaust will float around in there instead of going straight out

2. punch it out and weld a pipe straight through it to allow the exhaust to flow straight through

3. purchase an aftermarket cat that is less restrictive

I have done 1 & 2 on gassers before. I even have one truck that the cat was removed and straight duals were put on in place of the single exhaust. I would suggest the straight pipe through the cat, but if you perform the work yourself and have no one willing to help you, the third option would probably be the best choice. Good luck. Edited by: flhrciblueice

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Terrain Twister,

I pull a similar sized fifth wheel. Been running juice on level 2 and have not experienced any problems even pulling the Sierras and the Rockies. I don't have an exhaust temp gauge. Several knowledgeable folks told me the muffler was the biggest restriction in the system. I installed the Flowmaster replacement muffler, not much louder than stock I can hardly tell the difference in the truck. No droning. Several people with gauges said this cut EGT's by 100-200 degrees so I figured it was cheap insurance. Personally I would pull the cat but my wife hates the smell of diesel!!!! Cat removal could interfere with my sex life so it stays in! She prefers that Disneyland Autopia exhaust smell the truck currently has. I could swear the things running on propane.Edited by: BigdaddyG

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Terrain Twister, I have heard that some guys leave the cat on and remove the muffler and they like the way it sounds, one other thing you might need to worry about is if your truck is still under warranty and how it will affect it by removing the cat, if I was you I would call some of the suppliers who sale exhaust systems for diesels, because they will be able to tell you what improvements you can expect by leaving it on or taking it off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts