Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cat removal and egt's

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  specialagentPK 
#1 ·
Hi. I have an '05 chev duramax with edge/attitude, airaid intake, magnaflow 4" exhaust from the cat back. Everyone in town says if I remove the cat I will lose my low end power. I am worried about my egt's because I live in 110+ heat in the summer and I am allready hitting 1200-1300 pulling small hills with about 2500 lbs. behind me. I have ordered an egr blocker plate but do I also need the finger stick? Will I lose any low end power and if so, how much? Thanks for any help.

2005 Chevy 2500 Duramax Ext. cab SB
edge w/ attitude
magnaflow 4" cat back
airaid intake
285 BFG's on 16x8 retro 44's
line-x w/ diamond plate bed rails
westin nerf bars
more to come!

#2 ·
People who are telling you that are stuck on the gas motor needing back pressure mentality. A diesel does not need back pressure.

#10 ·
People who are telling you that are stuck on the gas motor needing back pressure mentality. A diesel does not need back pressure.
:exactly:

PS, if a gas engine "needed" back pressure, NHRA, NASCAR, and every other form of motorsports would run cats or mufflers. Back pressure is a slippery slope. Tuned exhaust is sometimes misrepresented as "back pressure"

#4 ·
Just curious - Have you had the latest reflash done yet? It is reported to lower EGTs somewhat.

jeff
no I haven't. Is that done at the dealership?

#6 ·
thanks dwrat. Do you have a chip or running without?

#9 ·
I straight piped my CAT 2 months ago, best thing I did. I run my Edge on 1-5 while towing and before removing the CAT I would hit 1370 Deg. pretty easily when I would have to get on throtle. With it gone the highest it's been is 1240. Now i'm debating cutting out the Muffler. The people you are talking to about the low end power loss are FULL OF SH*T. The truck takes off a lot faster and it's great for towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.