Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally took the pictures I wanted to get from my post-OEM CAT filter install. I wanted to document this in pictures and words for anyone else that is attempting this. I found scattered bits of information in various posts and thought a central post would be a good thing.

I have installed it in the "Lone Eagle" location, as I figure that the OEM is engine mounted, why can't the other be there too...

SHOPPING LIST:

Here is a parts list that anyone will need to get the pieces from a local CAT dealer.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 257pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=343 border=0 x:str>
<COLGROUP>
<COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64>
<COL style="WIDTH: 161pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7862" width=215>
<COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64>
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 13.5pt" height=18>
<TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64 height=18>Part #</TD>
<TD class=xl23 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 161pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=215>Description</TD>
<TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64>My Cost</TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17>
<TD class=xl28 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>1N-3789</TD>
<TD class=xl29 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Filter base</TD>
<TD class=xl30 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num="67.54">$67.54</TD></TR>
<TD class=xl31 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>1R-0750</TD>
<TD class=xl32 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Filter (short)</TD>
<TD class=xl33 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num="10.49">$10.49</TD></TR>
<TD class=xl31 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8 0.5pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17><FONT face=Aria

·
Registered
429 Posts
nassdmax nice job on th install and write up. Hopefully these things will make our motors last that much longer.

Josh

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Josh,

I keep telling myself the same thing each time I drop some cash into the already expensive and fully functional truck. I justify it the same way that most here do..

MN

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Nice job and alternative install to a Cat set-up ....

Look out Nick someones stealing your thunder ....

MAC

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Nice project...........

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am getting ready to pickup my new DMAX and wanted to know about this CAT setup. nassdmax you did a great job and I see you placed this filter after the OEM and am new to the DMAX and was just wanting to see why you did this and what are the benifits. Would there be a reason to put this filter first? I am new to this Forum.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Now you're going to force me to go back and make a prettier bracket for mine. Nah, too much work, but I will give you it's a clean install and an excellent writeup.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments guys. I am definately not trying to show anyone up here, but thanks for thinking I could.

VR, I think you have other projects you are working on that may take away from your time to re-do anything that you have already done and works... I had used your install as well as Frank's and GMCSLEHD's as my guidelines for what I wanted to do on mine. Thanks for the guidance! On a sidenote, My wife just gave me the ultamatum around the holidays that NO NEW projects until you finish the ones that you have started

bjay177, You will find tons of information on additional fuel filtration in these halls. Either if the filtration is pre or post OEM, if it is a RACOR, CAT, or any other brand, the addition of a finer filter to catch any particles that the OEM "stone trap" doesn't will help to save your very expensive injection system additional undue wear. My logic behind my choice for post OEM, was that I cannot change the OEM to anything finer than what it is, and I was tought to filter in larger to smaller steps (15mic, 2mic) rather than the other way around. Most of the pre-OEM setups are using HUGE filters so they are getting the same maintenance interval that I will get filtering the fuel post-OEM. I plan on changing both filters at the 15k mark based on others intervals and real "usage" of the filter media (granted, I may not be able to wait as I have a propensity to check and see how things are doing
).

Do a search, read more than you can stand, and if you have any questions ask away. This place is more than helpful, and I can see that any questions are not dumb ones...

Later, MN

·
Registered
612 Posts
nassdmax ...

excellent post ...
... for the exact reasons you mention I had a post OEM Mega installed on my truck ...

Jim

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice, but where in the engine bay would us guys with dual alternators mount the filter?
IOW, the 2nd alt. location is not an option.

Thanks!

T.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Under the airbox like a MEGA filter mounts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Terry,
If you go over to TDP, there are pics posted of a firewall bracket that a few guys have used that mounts above the OEM filter. These were posted a few months ago.Looked like a clean setup too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
nassdmax
Thanks for the additional info. I have one more question. What does the dealer or factory say about this add on filter. Has there been any problems as far as the warranty or when they work on it. I will try to search more on this but I like your setup.
I payed for my truck yesterday but they had to keep it to reprogram the ECM because of some tampering they think happened to it causing light problems on the dash. I pick it up Monday evening.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Most guys here that have any additional filtration have not had a problem with warranty work. My dealer has said this filter setup is fine, and if I ever go to a dealer that says differently, the 1-800-***** line is always close at hand. If there is really so much of a stink, I can turn this back to stock setup in no time at all, and I probably would do it in their parking lot. They should see this as a benifit, not a detriment!

Good luck getting your new truck.

Later, MN.

·
Registered
218 Posts
To Nassdmax.

Must complement you on the design of your installation. I would like to install the same system, but lack the resources to manufacture the bracket.

Have you considered selling the brackets? If not, can you provide a drawing, so I can get one made. My Duramax is a 2003 model with single alterrnator.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've been loohing at filter setups for quite awhile on this site, and had also felt that post OEM would be best for the same reasons nassdmax stated.

But I also wondered if all this fuss about additional filtration wasn't overkill. I have been driving 50 years, and twisting wrenches on them all that time {although all were gas jobs}, and the only troubles I ever had were easily remedied with an inline filter changed once in awhile. And here I was with a new vehicle and a non rusting plastic fuel tank, should be in clover!

But then I opened up the OEM filter I pulled @ 11k. OMG, what a mess! Discolored 75% filter area, and gravel trapped in the case!

I like this setup! I have made a print, plan to carry print and peeled filter to dealership and show to ser. manager. Going to inquire as to whether there would be any warranty problems if I fabricate and install this setup.

I also have a close friend who is certified line tech at another dealership a little closer to home. Going to ask him to call me next time GM ser. rep. who checks warranty stuff is in town.

Now that I have retired from punching a time clock and have a small business of my own, I can close up and visit with this rep. whenever he is in town. Already met him at Braves game where GM bought tickets for techs amd family. Since my friend is single, I went as his invited guest and talked a little shop with rep.

Will report back on his comments.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Railbuff and anyone else wondering...

I have not thought about doing a bracket design or manufacture. It wouldn't be that hard, I just haven't thought about it. Let me take it into a prototype shop I know and see how much it would be to have it manufactured. I consider my bracket the mule build prototype, and see many possibilities for improvements. Stainless, TOX lock joint instead of brazing (easier), etc...

So now the question, how many takers could there be?

I'll report back later next week on some specifics...

DOM, You must have some pretty nasty fuel to have gravel in there? I knew that these filters were deemed appropriately as gravel screens!

MN

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Dirty Old Man

That would be great info .... Make sure you get some " off the record stuff " ... I'm sure their aware of the situation they just wont acknowledge there is a problem .... Imagine if they did ,today ,the fall out ...

Mac

·
Registered
340 Posts
railbuff,
Go to a metal working or welding shop & have them bend you a bracket out of 1/4" aluminum. It is 6" wide with the bottom flange 3" & the upper height 5".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts