Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a nicktane filter kit at 30,000. I also installed a oilguard kit at 35,000. I had two injectors pop at 32,000. Now at 42,000 the dealer is replacing all 8.

Now I have a clean slate. Does anybody really know the benefits of these filters? Does anyone have test results on these filter kits?

I am curious to know because two friends of mine have almost the identical trucks as I. One is an 01' with 85,000 and the other is an 02' with 55,000. Both guys have the exhaust, chips, and guages just like my 03' with 42,000. The only difference is that they do not have the nicktane or the oilguard. But neither one of those guys have had any injector problems. After this repair, the injector replacement is 10.

Maybe a fluke, maybe not.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I am very nearly 100% positive adding additional filtration is not going to harm your injectors. Now, whether or not additional filtration really helps your injectors... (that popping sound you hear is the lid coming off the can of worms)

In the scenario you outline, 3 trucks is way too limited of data set from which to draw a conclusion. There are also too many other variables at play (fuel purchase location, additive use, filter change interval, etc. etc.)

·
Registered
288 Posts
A little off topic..................where can I get a filter cutter?

·
Registered
429 Posts
TommJr,

I have an OilGuard, installed it at the first oil change @ 47hrs & 1,360mi. Put 152hrs. and 6,076 on that oil and changed it and sent a sample to OilGuard. My results were:

Visc.100: 13.6, Water: 0.1, Soot: 0, Fuel: 0.3, Glycol: 0, FE: 10, CR: 1, PB: 8, CU: 24, SN: 0, AL: 3, SI: 44, NA: 0, MO: 18, K: 0, Oxid.: 1.2, Nitr.:0, Syn: 0, SAE: 43 and TBN: 9.1

Said that results were normal for break-in period and it appeared free of external examination. I would presume it's doing its job.

Josh

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
My cat/oem with 10k were in great shape when cut open. I would strongly advise an additive primrose/stanadyne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts