Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a full Banks 4" exhaust system on my CA truck. Since the CAT is MIA the exhaust has a different (Stronger) odor. Before the exhaust change I couldn't smell the exhaust at all. Has anyone else experienced this? I assume the CAT must have been burning any unburnt fuel. I guess this is how the 49-state models must be. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I took mine off

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well my LLY's got the CAT and it's funny you should mention it. I was just thinking this afternoon while it idled in the garage that it was really clean for a diesel....

So since I've never been around a diesel with a CAT before, and you've not been around yours without, I'd say the difference is the converter alright.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I didn't notice until you pointed it out now I've noticed the same thing. Smells "rich" when idiling. But man...I love the throttle response! And less smoke now under power with the Juice cranked up. Must be because the turbo spools up quicker and provides more air to go along with all that fuel. Edited by: Trippin

·
Registered
616 Posts
It's definitley the CAT. We have had a few CA trucks come to our dealership that have CATs and they smell a lot different than ones without. I actually dont like the way the CAT makes diesel smell...almost like wrottenn eggs

·
Registered
60 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

CMDMAX , I live in Mass. and my 04 LBY, came with the CAT. Been told about heavy fines for removal. I really want the 4" all the way back , but may choose the CAT BACK . Does CA. have these fines? Does the removal of the CAT affect the EGR? THANX

JEFF</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sky1,

I'm not sure how much the fines are. I am sure the emission people here in CA would not be happy about the CAT removal. Luckly as of now diesel pickups are not smogged. That may change in the future, that's why I kept the parts. As far as the EGR is concerned, I have no idea how it is effected. I'm sure someone here could answer that question. The new exhaust sounds GREAT!!!!

Chris

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
If you've ever been on a ship you may notice the exhaust with a cat smells like stack gas.

I can only see positives as far as the engine's concerned with cat removal. If you remove it, you reduce restriction which in turn reduces back pressure which should slightly reduce the amount of exhaust that flows back through the engine via the EGR. That is if your EGR works...

Ox

1 - 10 of 10 Posts