Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at the local Cat dealer scrounging up more parts for my Cat pre OEM filter, I had a very informative discussion with a mechanic doing double duty as the Saturday parts man. I asked if Cat's own engines used the 0749/0750's by themselves or if Cat had a water separator ahead of the element. He went into the parts room and brought out a Cat "Fuel/Water Separator" element, about the size of a quart oil filter. He said most engines have this ahead of the 0749 element. I asked how much and he said $12. So, I ordered the head for that filter at $47. The filter head has a primer pump on it. Parts will be in this week. He felt the Bosch pump should be able to suck through both elements with no problem, as Cat uses the same basic principles in their pumps as Bosch. I guess I'll be the guinea pig. Your thoughts folks?

BTW, if I had to do it over again, I would have bought the Nicktane. I have run my butt off putting this together. Buying a Nictane kit will save you lots time and miles chasing this stuff down. Hats off to Nick for putting together the kit. Most Cat parts men are not very helpful at all. Good luck finding BOSS O ring fittings if you live in Podunk, USA.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Wickedsprint said:
See my Sig CAT ... It is part Number 175-2949 ..... Someone was suppose to find out micron rating ... A-hem ....
You should be able to use the same head as the 0749/50 ..... I bought an extra to use ..... Not sure I was going to mount in series ,would be simple enough to put pre 2 um on the frame rail while BIG 2 um is tucked up in wheel well area .... ...

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mackin, the filter element I have is a 117-4089. According to the parts page printout I have, it is a 150 micron filter. I'll try and post some pics tommorrow. This takes a completely different head, you see when I post the pictures.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's see if this works:

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Nicktane kit will definitely save you a lot of hassle. I have one of Nick's early hand made brackets, but I scrounged up my own parts, which Nick then installed for me. Save yourselves the trouble. The new brackets are beautifully made and the kits I've seen contain everything you need for installation, except the quick disconnect tool.

The water idea is interesting. It makes sense to take the water out before it hits the Cat filter, though the OE unit will still provide some of that service downstream. We'll just have to see what experience shows. I doubt there will be a problem. When I changed my OE filter at 12K miles, before the Cat filter installation, I was able to drain only the tiniest drop of water.

TC

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Interesting that is but a baby filter but would work nicely ..... Thanks for the info ...

Mac

·
Registered
909 Posts
Excellent! CAT fuel filter with a water separator. Now if only there was something in the 2 or 5um range that was also cheap.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
It's probably 150 micron because it's only for water?
Possibly that's all they need to remove water?

Pick,

I know the Racor head that comes with the primer pump has less flow capability that the Racor head without the pump. Be careful when someone behind a parts counter tells you something "should" work.

My main concern is restriction. You need to measure vacuum at the pump to see if it's too high. SOme guys have purchased gauges that connect directly to a "test" port close to the pump.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hoot, yes that is a big concern of mine. I have the parts breakdown, and the primer pump is seperate. I'll see if mine comes with or without it this week. I am not sure if he ordered the complete assembly or the bare bones. I would not think a 150 micron filter in itself would cause much restriction. Anyone know what acceptable vacuum limits are on the main pump?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Pick

I got my CAT 1R-0750 filter installed Saturday after a lot of running to get all the parts like you did. The CAT parts man was a tremendous help and very knowledgeable. I wish all parts people were as helpful and knowledgeable, thats another story.

I used mostly parts bought at CAT and what they didn't have I had to get from a hardware store and NAPA. Ironically auto parts stores and not all NAPA stores have brass fittings needed to develop the set up. I will post picts as soon as I get a chance to post them.

The Nicktane setup would not work for what I was wanting to do, filter the aux and main fuel tank after going thru the switching valve and before the OEM filter.

Tom

·
Registered
394 Posts
As for the water separator restriction/flow rate/capacity. This same setup is used on 500+ hoursepower, large displacement engines that are throughputing 5 times the diesel fuel flow rates of our Duramax engines, so I would doubt there would be any restriction issues. And yes, the water separator has minimal filtration capability, and is designed primarily for water and brick/bird removal as pre-treat for the fine fuel filter.
George Morrison

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
brick/bird removal

LOL!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Has anyone come across any change intervals for the 0749?? I believe some have stated the 0750 is 250 hours. I realize there are a lot of people that haven't racked up enough miles on the CAT yet to cut one open, but what is the word on the 0749?? Plan on running down to the local CAT dealer this weekend to pick up some extra filters and could ask their opinion as well...

Thoughts?

Bob

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i'm almost at 10k w/ no problems. shooting for 15k.. have a buddy who drives like crazy.. he'll beat me to 15k for sure.. we shall see!

Pick - thanks for the compliment. i don't know how much time i invested in my first 2 installs.. way too much for sure!Edited by: Diesel Power

·
Registered
394 Posts
Regarding 'asking CAT about filter life'.. Frankly, I am certain you know more about 'CAT info' than anyone you can ask at any CAT store! The regular change interval is indeed 250 hours but I have seen CAT filters shut down with as little as 50 hours; the fuel was 27/25/23 ISO.. The dregs of fuel land, which some off-highway cam be as many construction/mining companies do not protect their storage tanks, allowing them to become cesspools. With reasonable highway fuel quality, 10,000 miles would very likely be a good target, possibly more; again, very much dependent on fuel source cleanliness/quality. I have 25,000 miles on my OEM fuel filter; however, I am putting 13/9/8 ISO fuel INTO my Duramax fuel tank... The CAT filter would very likely last 50,000 miles, easily, with my fuel quality input..
George Morrison

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Geo

you know anything about hydrocrack, is this the base stock used in the semi synthetic oils

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I guess mine will be a decent test as i regularly buy fuel from the worst (per my test sample) station that a memeber has tested fuel from
. It was 21/19/16!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Don't forget that the filter is filtering GALLONS, not HOURS. The engines that these filters are typically used for are much larger than a Duramax engine and use much more fuel per hour, and typically run all day long at a high percentage of rated output, using lots of gallons per hour compared to a Duramax driving down the road at part throttle.

So 50 hours on a CAT engine for which this filter was designed may be more like 500 hours on a Duramax, if all else is equal.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes, Nick, of the hundreds of on-highway diesel fuels tested that I have reviewed, your source is among the "top ten dirtiest" diesel fuels in the U.S. of A! :)
Congratulations for providing an excellent test point for the effectiveness of supplemental fuel filtration and filter life expectancy!
George Morrison

1 - 20 of 31 Posts