·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For grins and giggles, I getting ready to take off my Racor set up and putting
in a CAT set up on the frame. I machined out the cast CAT base and all fitting
openings to 23/64 th's to provide the maximum opening. I believe the I/D of our
fuel lines is 26/64th's.

Question......... Do I use any teflon compound on the threads of the fittings with
the O-Rings that marry to the CAT base? Also, how much torque are you applying
at these O-ring fittings?

Edited by: 56Nomad

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did not put teflon on mine and hasnt leaked in 15000 miles

I put a little lube on the o-rings and got it snug, probably 15-20 FTlbs.Edited by: Big Red Max

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big Red Max.......

I don't think you'd see a leak since have a vacuum
system. If nothing burbs, yep no leaks.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
OK I'll bite. Why are you changing filter setups?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm retired with lots of time on my hands........ plus I like to tinker
on my truck

I actually like the Racor better, with the clear fuel bowl and
if I lived in cold weather it would definitely stay on because
of the heater option.

But here in the Santa Cruz, CA area...... no one will order me a
Racor filter
There are no vendors locally for Racor. We do
have Marine West, but the salesman could not help me in
ordering the R60S. The Cat dealer is a couple of miles away
and the 1R-0750 is well stocked, so that's why I'm switching.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I know the pipe thread sealant question has it been briefly discussed before, but I've never heard CAT's view on it. Are there any install instructions?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Well, your's looks different than mine (straight vs 90 on mine and no on/off valve), but to your point, the instructions say to put it on the brass hose fitting, threaded side. I'll do that with mine, but there's an O-ring for that to seat against too, so don't think it should be needed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
someone on this site had said not to use teflon tape, and to use the paste, as the (tape will damage the injection system if it gets in it). Just a messenger of info. Fran

·
Registered
663 Posts
04wanabemax said:
someone on this site had said not to use teflon tape, and to use the paste, as the (tape will damage the injection system if it gets in it). Just a messenger of info.   Fran
In addition to the contamination problem Fran pointed out, from what I've read Teflon tape is also not recommended for applications where vibration is present - its good for static conditions (like domestic plumbing) but not on a moving/vibrating machine.Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
67 Posts
56Nomad said:
Big Red Max.......

I don't think you'd see a leak since have a vacuum
system. If nothing burbs, yep no leaks.
[/QUOTE

It will leak when the truck is not running. I had a compression fitting that did not seal properly and leaked. The strange thing is I never had a problem with air in the line the 400miles I drove with the leak. There was never any air present at either filter when I checked before fixing the leak.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Nomad, Your picture shows the correct way as far as I can see. There is nothing wrong with Teflon tape on any installation. Teflon tape and any other sealer is only a problem when you disassemble a system. It is a common practice to use it on stainless hydraulic systems both mobile and stationary. A lot depends on the maintenance supervisor in each location. Never put any sealer on the first thread or two. All sealers will ball up when you disassemble a system and the remainder should be wire brushed off. Nice looking set up. Later! Frank

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
FYI - w/ o-ring boss connectors pipe dope/teflon tape is not required. that's from the old man and the hydraulic store plus my neighbor that works for CAT..

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Didn't mean to imply sealer went on the "0" connections, only on the tapered treads. Later! Frank

·
Registered
429 Posts
56NOMAD,

Use RectorSeal #5. Available at Home Depot, etc...

Josh

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I didn't use any sealer when I went with the cat head. Brass is a very soft metal, when you use fittings that are tapered and mate in a brass material they will actually conform to each other as they are tightened. Now I'm not saying it wouldn't have it's benefit of a just in case situation, but shouldn't really be needed.

Now with my new permacool head I used Loctite thread sealer(white tube and can't remember the number).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts