Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

I currently have a 4" MBRP turbo back system with a muffler in place. I like it alot, but have concerns about warranty issues with no cat. so I have been thinking about a few things:

1. putting the cat back on and running a cat back system
2. putting the cat back on and running a muffler delete pipe

What would you guys do? Which of the above options would give the best performance? How loud will the muffler delete pipe with the cat be? Any suggestions?

I recently read in Dieselpower mag there is only a small amount of difference between the full turbo back symtems and a cat back. the cat back actually made more torque at lower rpms.

I have the delete pipe on order, there is a parts store that has it locally. I plan on doing this this weekend

thanks in advance for your opinions:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just read the article in Diesl power Mag, and I am going with cat back, I am still under warranty too, no throwing codes,(for deleting cat) and mid range power is not much different for a stock truck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am going to install a MBRP 4"cat back system

·
Registered
848 Posts
the warranty thing dont worry about it and if u want no cat or you want cat you do wht u want its your truck

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I installed the cat delete pipe on both trucks...Sounds better and it will lower EGTs at highway speeds about 150*...

·
Registered
190 Posts
From options 1 and 2 that you have I would go with options 2. IMO I would stay with what you have if you like it. If the warranty is the only issue you have, then i wouldn't worry bout it. I think that adding the cat and deleting the muffler will have a deeper tone with less whistel vs no cat and a muffler.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I replaced the entire system on my truck, running a downpipe back system. I kept the original exhaust system intact and in the barn in case I want to put it back on. The lower EGTs are enough of a benefit to justify the decision to lose the cat(IMHO).

What type of warranty issues concern you that would necessitate keeping the cat in place?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Why not just buy a high flow diesel cat from someone like Magnaflow.They run appx $400-500 and come in stainless up to 5".Seems more companies are making these now for us guys that are upgrading front pipe.Couple cuts,slide in cat and clamp.All legal now.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
^it looks like that's the route i'm definitely going to take. i don't have to worry about emissions testing where i am but they do visually check for a cat. i'd rather have a high flow cat in place and not have to worry about putting the stock one back in just to get inspected. i wonder if it'll still throw a code even though there is a high flow cat?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
^Do you make a kit that includes a high-flow cat? I couldn't find one on your website. Also, are you aware if the high-flow cat provides enough backpressure to prevent throwing a "low egr flow" code?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Or just gut the cat, throw a straight pipe throught the center.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.