Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how loud would a cat back MBRP exhaust system be??? Single or Dual??? My last truck, 2000 2500 Sierra EXT Cab 6.0 liter gasser with a 50 series dual in/dual out Flowmaster muffler and dual out the back just was to noisy. Don't want to get in the same situation again.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Cat back systems are hardly louder than any stock system. The cat pretty much quiets its right down.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the MBRP cat back. It is quiet, but not as quiet as stock. It has a deep tone to the exhaust, dont know for sure about power, turbo definetly is spoiling up faster, no difference in fuel milage, But I Love the sound!!:ro) . I wouldnt want mine any louder. I have the 5" double wall tip. see garage for pics

·
Registered
594 Posts
Ron duramax;1576318; said:
I have the MBRP cat back. It is quiet, but not as quiet as stock. It has a deep tone to the exhaust, dont know for sure about power, turbo definetly is spoiling up faster, no difference in fuel milage, But I Love the sound!!:ro) . I wouldnt want mine any louder. I have the 5" double wall tip. see garage for pics
I agree. The 4" MBRP cat back has a deeper tone but not loud at all. Sounds really good without letting the neighborhood know when I drive up.:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
rspiecha;1575005; said:
Just curious how loud would a cat back MBRP exhaust system be??? Single or Dual??? My last truck, 2000 2500 Sierra EXT Cab 6.0 liter gasser with a 50 series dual in/dual out Flowmaster muffler and dual out the back just was to noisy. Don't want to get in the same situation again.

Thanks

Rob
You hardly notice the difference in the cab. Now and then I'll notice a little rumble, witha window down or something, but most of the time you can't tell due to the diesel engine noise up front.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not to hi-jack, but what kind of EGT decrease are you guys seeing?

·
Registered
104 Posts
billdow;1576567; said:
Not to hi-jack, but what kind of EGT decrease are you guys seeing?
dont have gauges for EGT, but have been told to expect 50 degrees less egt driving normal, and 150 less egt while towing

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
With an LBZ engine, the sound will be very close to stock. Ron and EricJS have LLY's so their systems sound a little bit louder than yours will. The dual kit sounds roughly the same. Once you get a cat-back kit, you will be looking for ways to make it louder. Pulling the cat and/or getting a muffler delete will achive those results.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with everything that has been said so far....a nice low rumble is all you can hear...my 05' lly was a good bit louder with the MBRP 4" cat back....kinda weird?:confused: I love it so far on my 07' but i could see how some one would want more sound:D

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wanna know how to get more sound out of the turbo? I love that wistle!:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just installed the 4" cat back and I like it could be alittle louder but its more than stock so I'm very happy with it. Easy to install also!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
newduramaxguy;1577400; said:
I wanna know how to get more sound out of the turbo? I love that wistle!:D
Intake will help that a bunch. The more open it is the louder it will be. The stock box has some turbo sound deadening fins in it.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
newduramaxguy- If you want more whistle, get a cat-delete pipe. This will open up the last restriction in your exhaust system and you will notice a BIG increase in turbo whistle. An intake will also help to open up the system to hear the tubo more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ron duramax;1576318; said:
I am happy with the sound - not too loud but you know it is there when you get on it. I put mine on with only @ 400 miles on the odometer so don't know if it helped the MPG or not. Used to have a Banks "Monster" dual exhaust on my previous 2500HD D/A and thought it was too loud - especially when towing (under load)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 03 dmax EC, with cat back mbrp system. My truck has no cat. And the exhaust make to much noise.

I got me a new truck last friday, and I dont want so much noise. But this truck have a cat.

Is it a big difference between cat and no cat???

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Yes, there is a big difference. Also, the LB7's are quite a bit louder than the LLY and LBZ's. If your new truck is 04.5+, dont worry about excessive noise like your 03 had even if you ditch the cat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.