Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have lurked on here for a few weeks, great site and great info. I have a 2006 gasser, but there is a lot here has helped me.

I bought a Carriage Works grille. I purchased the 42202 which works on 05 and 06 HD, as well as the 06 1500. To install this grille you have to remove the stock insert, it is not the "Bolt Over". I have my insert removed, and everything is smoothed out nicely. The grille doesn't fit, it's too big. Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to give Carriage Works a call tomorrow, but I thought I would see if anyone here had any suggestions.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's the same one I have.

It wasn't too hard to install just kind of a PITA.

I had to make sure that all of the inside part of the grille was cut out and flush with the outside part. Once that was done it fit really well.

I'd give them a call and make sure it's the right one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's pretty close, so I maybe haven't taken enough off.
There is a slight lip right before the chrome, you ground/sanded that lip down to the level of the chrome correct?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
give us some pics and we can help you out better

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
but i would just cut or sand it tell you can fit it

·
Registered
138 Posts
Shawn

The most work was grinding down all of the "bumps" where I cut the diamond shaped inside part of stock grille out. As I recall, the top corners took a lot of work to get them smooth enough that the grille wouldn't hit them and kind of push the ends down. The opening after you cut it out needs to be completely smooth and flat before you put the new grille in.

If there was a little bump or raised part at all the grille insert would hit it.

I was impressed with the fit of the Carriage Works grille but it was a fair amount of work to get it to fit right.

I hope you can get yours to fit. Just make sure the the opening is flat all the way around.

There is always the chance that they got the wrong grille in the box too.

Hope it wll works out for you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help Mitch. I finished it today. The bottom fit great, but the top took a lot of work. The finished product was well worth the time though!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts