Diesel Place banner

Care for new Duramax

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Hound 
#1 ·
I will be taking delivery of a new 2500HD with a Duramax by the end of the month. This week is scheduled as build week.

I am interested in keeping things going as well as possible for a long time and I am willing to do what is necessary for it to happen this way.

I have two major concerns and will listen to any other suggestions.

First, what should I do about fuel filtering other than to change the OEM every 15,000 miles? Do you suggest a second filter such as Nicktane or something else?

Second, should I use a fuel additive and what should it be?

#2 ·
Well, the fuel filter add on is a HOT debate right now. Your best bet on the oem filter is too change it around 10-12k. I have added pre and post oem filters in many trucks from many suppliers and all are good quality. I cant really push one over the other becuase they all have highs and lows and are all priced with in 20 bucks. I am gonna say to do the research and I will help from there, but not gonna make a direct recommendation. I will say that all are top quality.

As far as additive goes, FPPF is the hot one right now, but I have some Schaeffers stuff that I am trying, gonna do some tests on it and see if its any good. They use Schaeffers in Diesel from Meijer stations around here and its some of the best stuff out there. I stock both products and both are good either way... Not sure if one is "better" then the other.

A few other things, change the rear diff fluid out after 500 miles of towing or 5000 miles of driving, refill with a quality synthetic lube and your good to go for 50k miles before you have to worry again

Change out the allison spin on filter at 5k to get the breakin crud out.

Change the engine oil after no more then 3k to get the crap out of it.

Buy all your parts from me! LOL

Eric

#4 ·
Eric,

I recently purchased a a new truck, only 950 miles and loving every minute.. New to the Durmax and am interested in a secondary fuel filter system. Where do I look first? What manufactures carry quality secondary filters. I have read through the form for the last 3 days and have found a wealth of information. What products do you carry?

Thanks,

JonEdited by: hammer

#5 ·
Nicktane (CAT), Racor, Standyne, Kennedy Diesel (Mega). All of them have been used by people on the forums.

#8 ·
Hammer, I did the install on my truck and Nick really put together an absolutely first class kit. It took me a little over 2 hours to get it all installed. That included dropping the driveshaft from the rear diff so I could fit up in there. I can't speak of the other kits out there but IMHO the Nicktane is a very well thought out kit.

#9 ·
Nick's kit is first class! It took me longer than 2 hours but I did it myself lying on my back. I loved his bracket and where he located it. Suggestions for installation:

#1 Have some help (not your wife).

#2 Remove tank straps and lower the tank onto a floor jack.

#3 When you install the bracket secure with vise-grips exactly where you want it and drill your holes with bracket in place. Too much work worrying about exhisting hole.

#4 run bolts into bed rails and out through bracket instead of trying to line up the nylon lock nuts in the bed rail.

#5 When using disconnect tool(Lisle 1/2") push line into fitting while pushing tool into place pull and jiggle on disconnect tool. Tool will dislodge line and remain on end of fitting.

Everyone who has seen the filter thinks it is real cool. Two of my neighbors plan on ordering the kit. I guess I may have more suggestions after two more installs.

#10 ·
Thanks for the info. I was a little leary about tampering with the fuel system on a new truck. I've not been much of a wrench turner lately. Looks like Nicktane may be the way to go.

Thanks again for all the replies. Great forum, looks like I'll be spending alot of time here.

#11 ·
hammer, the Nicktane kit really isn't difficult at all to install. I skipped #1 and #2 in 2thdr's instructions and just dropped the drive shaft from the rear diff and bent the aluminum shield on the side of the fuel tank down a bit to gain access to the quick connect on the top. If you do it make absolutely sure that you get the correct Lisle QD set that has been posted before. Then I just went ahead with steps #3, 4 and 5 as 2thdr has them listed. The beauty is that the kit can be fully reversed to stock if you think your dealer would have a problem with the filter. You really don't have to be a good wrench turner at all for install of this kit. Mostly just patient enough to get the QD's apart, as learning to use the tool for the first time can be a bit quirky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.