Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old man is looking for a car dolly to drag his 3400lb Hyundai behind his 35,000lb 36' motorhome.
We found a used one yesterday that is rated at 3000lb and has no brakes. Dolly only picks up the front axle so he should be fine there.
I was thinking he would likely not need brakes as his tow load is not even 10% of his vehicle weight.
What do you guys think? Would you tow this rig through the mountains?

·
Registered
916 Posts
You need to look at the dmv regulations on brake requirements for trailers. It may be that he would need to have trailer brakes to be legal. He can always add a brake controller that goes inside the car, like those that tow flat use.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I might be a little more concerned about the 3000# / 3400# weight discrepancy. if he ever should have a problem, his insurance may be void.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
Why not just flat tow, that is what many rv'ers are doing.

·
Registered
916 Posts
A lot of cars cant be flat towed without modifications. I believe it has to do with the transmission fluid not circulating if towed in neutral.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to look at the dmv regulations on brake requirements for trailers. It may be that he would need to have trailer brakes to be legal. He can always add a brake controller that goes inside the car, like those that tow flat use.

We did that, any bigger this trailer would require trailer brakes, seems they designed it with Ontario regs in mind. As far as we can tell its legal.

I might be a little more concerned about the 3000# / 3400# weight discrepancy. if he ever should have a problem, his insurance may be void.
The trailer only has the front axle, weight there should be well within the trailers rating.

Why not just flat tow, that is what many rv'ers are doing.
You mean flat on a car trailer or on all four wheels?

·
3,455 Posts
By flat tow I mean tow bar, no trailer.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Is the #3000 rating the total car weight or is that the carried axle weight? Those are two different numbers entirely. If it is total weight then insurance is not going to be happy.

Be careful, read all the lines in the manuals and follow the rules. Good luck.

·
Registered
916 Posts
"We did that, any bigger this trailer would require trailer brakes, seems they designed it with Ontario regs in mind. As far as we can tell its legal."

The trailer brake requirement would be for both the weight of the trailer and the car attached to it combined. That is what you would have to check on the regs. So if the trailer is rated at 3k, that might be fine, but if you put more weight on it it might exceed the brake rating.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
"We did that, any bigger this trailer would require trailer brakes, seems they designed it with Ontario regs in mind. As far as we can tell its legal."

The trailer brake requirement would be for both the weight of the trailer and the car attached to it combined. That is what you would have to check on the regs. So if the trailer is rated at 3k, that might be fine, but if you put more weight on it it might exceed the brake rating.

MTO Regs state this:
Trailer or semi-trailer - Every trailer or semi-trailer having a gross weight of 1,360 kilograms (3,000 Ibs) or more shall be equipped with brakes adequate to stop and to hold the vehicle.

MTO Drivers hand Book has this:
If your trailer has a gross trailer weight, vehicle and load of 1,360 kilograms (2998.3 lbs) or more, it must have brakes strong enough to stop and hold the trailer.

Still unclear. The fact that the dolly picks up only half the weight of the car muddys the waters somewhat. The fact that this trailer has a GV of 3000 and the regs say 3000 or more require brakes means this trailer should have brakes as per Ontario regs.
Should be exploring other options I think.

·
3,455 Posts
Just a FYI, when I moved cross country in 1991 I had a Ryder 20 ft truck and a dolly for a car. The dolly didn't have brakes, and it was from rental company who knew exactly what I was putting on it. Granted this was lower 48, but still a move from California to Maine!

·
Diesel Ninja
10,143 Posts
I would suggest you take a look at this guide http://webcontent.goodsam.com/motorhomemagazine.com/2015DinghyGuide.pdf

A quick look at it shows his vehicle should be towable if it has a manual transmission. If it is an auto then you will need to look at a trailer or dolly. If you go the dolly route I would opt for a larger dolly WITH brakes. This will insure that you are safe and LEGAL no matter where you tow it.

·
3,455 Posts
Good link diesail! I looked at it and if the Hundai is auto tranny, then they all say NO for flat tow!

·
Registered
916 Posts
This rating for the dolly is a bit confusing, GVWR would be if you weighed the dolly and the front axle weight of the towed vehicle combined. GCVWR would be the total weight of the dolly and the total weight of the towed vehicle combined. I would think that there should be both numbers for the dolly available, otherwise you could put any weight vehicle on the dolly, as long as the front axle weight of the vehicle didnt exceed the GVWR.

·
Registered
916 Posts
"as long as the front axle weight of the vehicle didnt exceed the GVWR.
minus the weight of the dolly :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts