Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search of the perfect oil for my equipment which includes the Dmax my assistants "HEN" and "PICKING" stumbled onto what seems a good product.Petro-Canada Duron,group 3,full synthetic 5w40.

I use quite a bit of oil as I have a Dmax,excavator,atv,2 tractors and misc other equipment and have at times had 4 or 5 different oils on the shelf for the different equipment and times of year.For the last year or so I was using mostly Shell oils but after too many what is that stink "did you poor oil on the manifold" comments and my own nose I went looking.Most of my equipment calls for or can use 40 weight oil but I wanted a all season oil so as to keep inventory down.When I checked out Petro-Canada 5w40 I found it met sl car specs as well as ci-4 diesel specs as well as many others.So I figured I would try some in my Dmax.When I looked at the 1 liter container I found something that I was not expecting"this oil can be used anytime a manufactuer specs to use 15w40".So now I'm saying one oil year round with a oil company's ok as a replacement for 15w40 in writing.And the best part no rosmella But in all fairness it does have some smell it just doesn't stink like Shell.I have found my oil pressure is no different except when cold it doesn't go quite as far over.As far as starting big difference a lot faster when real cold and not as noisey.Maybe not for everyone but in my case it means one oil for almost everything all year long and that is a big deal for me.A bonus is in 20 liter pail I pay around 5.50 cdn a liter.Don't know if it is available in the US or not, it "MIGHT BE" made under contract with Chevron. Anyone using this? comments welcome.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I read on the rotella forums that shell fixed the smell problem with rotella.

I run Mobil Delvac 1 but am thinking of trying rotella.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used them all 15w40 reg 10w40 ss 5w40 fs I can smell them all in all my equipment.If they fixed it they just fixed it.Myself I like one oil all year with the oil company's ok to use in place of 15w40.Plus it is cheaper than Shell's same product.Hope they have got rid of the smell it really was bad IMHO.Funny thing they are the mfg of Canadian Tires Diesel oil and it has little smell, they say it is made to ctc's spec
Shell smell,ctc not go figure

·
Registered
16,610 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the rock said:
Did you talk to GM about this oil??. Any warranty issues??

No I didn't don't know where that would go.I did talk to Toyota about our rav4 you know their answer"we are not able to make that decission for you as far as warranty please contact your dealer they are better able to answer this
Asked dealer answer was ah ah well ah maybe,ah don't really know ah should be able to.Bottom line if they can blame the oil they will.Toyota is a little different they reccomend 5w30.My take on the Dmax is there for certain times of the year they reccomend 5w40 the rest of the time it is 15w40.As was said in other posts 40 is 40 and Petro-Canada says right on their can it can be used in place of 15w40.If there was a problem that GM would not look after Petro-Canada would have big trouble.I will try to contact GM and see what they say,no rush it's still winter

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Max Power said:

I read that before but it is not only the 5w40 it is also 10w40 and 15w40 as well.It seems they say they HAD some problem but only on a certain time frame.It may be that this is a Canadian thing, different spec's maybe?I know the class action law suit for their gas was for Canada.Anyhow go buy some and let me know
j/k

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
rotella.com said:
While we are aware that some customers reported that some Rotella T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 motor oil manufactured in early 2003 exhibited an off odor, there have been no performance issues with said product. The source of the off-odor was traced to the manufacturing process. The process was then changed to eliminate the objectionable odor in subsequent production.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said hope they got it fixed it was not a good selling feature.A lot of people think it is the best.Whatever works use it but if you do try some let me know just curious as to your honest opinion.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Funny thing is, I am having a hell of a time getting my hands on it. I will try it, and I will let you know. I hope they fixed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts