Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric, My 2002 D-A has had a start up squeak issue since it was new. Now with 47K miles on it, its becoming a constant issue.

It used to only do it when the truck sat overnight or a day, and was started up in wet/damp weather. I took my mechanic stethiscope to all possible culprits, and didnt find anything. The only thing that my ear leads me to think the cause is, is the idler tensioner. Its definitely coming from the left side of the engine. I was just going to replace the whole kit and cabooddle (tensioner) , and replace the belt with a GY Gatorback. Any ideas to definitely find the culprit besides pulling the belt and starting her up?(only thing I havent done)

Also If you could tell me the length of the belt that would be great. Its an 02-AC-130 amp alternator. I remember in my head something like it being 2750 mm long or 2570mm?

Thanks In Advance.

Bill

·
Registered
514 Posts
GY 4061115 does not work on a 2002 as the tensioner was redesigned for the 02 model year if I recall correctly. The belt is too short and according to GY they've been close to releasing one of the correct length for a 2002 for the past year or so. I ordered the 4061115 and it definitely is shorter than the OEM, enough short that you can't get it on at all. I can't recall when I spoke to the GY folks but it was about 6 months ago as I wanted the GY belt but no such luck.

Hopefully this will save you the hassle of returning a belt that is definitely too short.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Bill, Have the dealer check your water pump. Seems there was a squeak issue and a TSB out on this some time back. My 03' did the same thing. Replaced the belt, tensioner and idler pulley before anyone did the research and learned about the water pump.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I may be experiencing the same squeak. Does it sound something like a dry bearing would? I'd like to find that TSB. My squeak first came this summer and then disappeared for a while, but is back now.

·
Registered
812 Posts
My bust, it's not a TSB. The dealer has a seperate listing of problem and fixes. It is on the service computer the mechanics use. Ask your mechanic to look for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts