Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have uploaded my ecm, but trying to use the datalog side, can't seem to get a connection. The "dashboard" has no activity, and I get "no cable detected" messages.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Make sure you don't have too many PIDs selected as well. I had that problem for awhile before I figured it out.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
EFILive Scan Tool For Duramax Diesel
SoCal Diesel Quick Start Guide

Skip to step 5 if you have already launched the software the first time and answered the following questions.

1) Launch EFILive’s Scan tool.
2) Enter VIN? >Yes
3) Platform> Light Truck
4) Engine> 6.6

5) Go to “Edit”>Properties>select the “Logging” tab.
6) Changed the “Scan Mode” to “Dynamic.”
7) Select “OK.”
8) Close the Scan Tool software.
9) Re-open or launch the Scan Tool software.
10) Go to “File”>Open>Open PID selection file>Duramax Imperial.
11) Select the green dot in the upper left hand corner to “Connect.”
12) Go to “Info”>Validate PIDS

13) At this point you can view the PIDS that are selected to record by using the F8 key. Double click any PID to select it for recording or double click again to deselect and turn grey to not use it for recording.

14) Select F9 for the Data page.

15) Select the Yellow dot at the bottom of the screen to monitor live data. Select the Blue square to stop monitoring data.

16) Select the Red dot at the bottom of the screen to record data. Select the blue square to stop recording and save the recorded data to a file.

This should get you started. There is more in depth instruction in the Tutorials that are provided under the “Help” Menu.

Have Fun and Happy Scanning/Tuning using EFILive.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Thank you too for leading the way for my confusion here, KB. I just hooked up and scanned down my ECM and failed to get the scanner running last night myself. I'll be using the information here to try again tomorrow (when I also unplug my Juice for the first time since 2002!!) I just shifted it down to zero last night on the way home in an attempt to "wean" off it, but I'm afraid it's some nasty "cold turkey" until I can get some info or figure out how to tune back in some moderate power (looking for 50 or 60 Hp and some bottom end).

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Well, I'm having more trouble getting started with EFI Live than I could have ever anticipated. I know the program is working for a lot of people, but not for me so far. I've read all the manuals (a couple of times), I've read the tutorials, when I do get a little progress it's from postings here with "insider tips" that don't appear to be clear in the manuals or intuitive to the software interface itself. I've fumbled around for several days now trying to work with the scan tool. After two attempts it appeared to be prepared for black box logging - which it failed to do this morning. Tony spent some time with me on the phone and has generously provided me with an example of his economy tune - but I pulled my Edge and wanted to spend some time in stock condition and do some datalogging before entering my first tune. With my current success rate with scanning, I'm too paranoid to try any reflashes. Oh, in addition, I've joined the EFI forum, and now - although a registered member and signed in - I have no posting, reply or editing privledges. Am I the ProblemChild of EFI or what?

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Using a laptop, do you see a connection in the console (F12) mode? In that window, after hitting the green connect button, copy the line code and paste here. Look for the absence of red

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well, I'm having more trouble getting started with EFI Live than I could have ever anticipated. I know the program is working for a lot of people, but not for me so far. I've read all the manuals (a couple of times), I've read the tutorials, when I do get a little progress it's from postings here with "insider tips" that don't appear to be clear in the manuals or intuitive to the software interface itself. I've fumbled around for several days now trying to work with the scan tool. After two attempts it appeared to be prepared for black box logging - which it failed to do this morning. Tony spent some time with me on the phone and has generously provided me with an example of his economy tune - but I pulled my Edge and wanted to spend some time in stock condition and do some datalogging before entering my first tune. With my current success rate with scanning, I'm too paranoid to try any reflashes. Oh, in addition, I've joined the EFI forum, and now - although a registered member and signed in - I have no posting, reply or editing privledges. Am I the ProblemChild of EFI or what?
Are you able to perform a test flash? Can you read the OEM calibration? Can you validate PID's?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Haven't tried any flashes, Have read and stored the OEM cal. Did get PIDs validated and ran some real-time data once last weekend. It's been a PITA schlepping the laptop in and out of the house to the truck in low temps, thinking I have things set up for black box so that I don't require the laptop and then find that I'm still a dunce. I can see that it's not insurmountable, I'm just not getting there very fast. I'm not eager to try any flashes with my recent success rate at just scanning and logging data - especially since I think that I have been following instructions pretty correctly and still failing at "simple" evolutions 3 out of 5 times. Not blaming the software, I'm just not "getting it" apparently.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Idle Chatter,

Try using a different USB port on your laptop. For instance my dell has two USBs on the side of the laptop and 4 on the rear. McRat has the identical laptop and we have found that the USBs on the side have the best success.

Let us know......

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just started data logging this weekend. I fumbled my way through it but was able to get it working. Man it's sweet to be able to see whats going on.

On my dashboard I added an actual rail pressure under the desired rail pressure. That sure will be handy come drag season. Next I'm going to see about adding a bigger MAP sensor and rescaling the input table so I can get some real data there.

·
Registered
874 Posts
On my dashboard I added an actual rail pressure under the desired rail pressure. That sure will be handy come drag season.
You can make a bar graph of the calculated PID "Difference in actual vs. commanded rail pressure" or something like that, and it will show you what the difference is at a glace. Soooooooooo much fun. ):h

·
Registered
317 Posts
You can make a bar graph of the calculated PID "Difference in actual vs. commanded rail pressure" or something like that, and it will show you what the difference is at a glace. Soooooooooo much fun. ):h
At a glance is nice but I like to look at the "B" line plot to see what and ware:ro)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts