Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I tried to lower my spare so that I could access the wiring for the CHMSL feed for a cap. The tire would come down about 4 inches and then stop. The cable would unwind all the way to the ground. I pushed and pulled and was unable to get it to drop any further. Am I missing something here ? I froze my a$$ off laying on the ground trying to get this thing to come down, good thing I didnt have a flat and really need it !

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
665 Posts
There is a safety catch built into the mechanism to prevent the tire from dropping if the cable breaks. The catch is released by the tension in the cable. Try cranking the cable all the way back up again so it is tight, then lowering it back down.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cranked it back up tight 3 times thinking it might be something like what you said. I still couldnt get it to release. Is this safety latch the black "T" shaped thing ?

Scott

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Go to page 5-111 in your owner's manual

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
We had a similar problem on a friends truck. We ended up spraying the lowering mechanism with WD 40 and then it came down.

William

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Try beating on the tire.. Sometimes it will just get stuck...Someone might have put in on there too tight in the first place and now it won't come down. Had a similar issue with my truck once.. Just beat on it and it came down..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts