Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of Cooper AT's on my 2015 2500. The tires are about 2 years old with plenty of tread left. I had them rotated about a week ago and while on a small trip I noticed one of them was reading a couple of lbs low so I filled it up. Same thing a few days later. Then last night it went from 70 to 38 overnight. I took it to a couple of places while on the trip and the could not find a leak.

Tomorrow when I'm back I'll head out to the place where I bought them and have them take look. I'm thinking to ask them to remove and reseat the tire if they can't find any other issues.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Could be a Valve stem. I have had issues after after alignments. Some run the alignment equipment into the stems.

Also with mag wheels its usually the first place the wheels corrode.

Sometimes its the internal value in the stem that also will leak.

·
Administrator
18,674 Posts
I've got a set of Cooper AT's on my 2015 2500. The tires are about 2 years old with plenty of tread left. I had them rotated about a week ago and while on a small trip I noticed one of them was reading a couple of lbs low so I filled it up. Same thing a few days later. Then last night it went from 70 to 38 overnight. I took it to a couple of places while on the trip and the could not find a leak.

Tomorrow when I'm back I'll head out to the place where I bought them and have them take look. I'm thinking to ask them to remove and reseat the tire if they can't find any other issues.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Most good shops will have a tank that they can submerge the tire in and find the source of the leak..

Find a large spray bottle and fill it with soapy water. Spray the tire liberally and the leak should appear

Reactions: firestopper

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most good shops will have a tank that they can submerge the tire in and find the source of the leak..

Find a large spray bottle and fill it with soapy water. Spray the tire liberally and the leak should appear
When I got it back it was completely wet so they either submerged it or sprayed it real good. When I got it home a little while ago I put it back on the hub but left the truck jacked up. It's been an hour and so far it is holding pressure. I've also got the valve cap off for now just in case it it was pressing on the valve. I'm going to lower it back down now and check it in another hour. If that holds I'll put a new valve cap on and see what happens.

If it's still losing pressure after that I'll take it in to Discount Tire where I bought them and see what they can find. I doubt it had anything to do with the rotation they did but all this started the day after.

·
Premium Member
18,083 Posts
I always end up with rock drilling on the Cooper AT3 & Cooper ATR. It's always obvious, though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tire has been holding air perfectly since saturday. The only thing that is different is a had changed out the valve caps. I looked inside the old caps and didn't see any debris but it could have fallen out when I unscrewed it.

When I first noticed the leak I had just got the truck home after having a rotate and balance. I noticed that the air pressure readings were all off on the dashboard readout as they had completely botched resetting the TPMS sensors. Fortunately I had the tool for that. It was raining when I added air to the front tires so I was in a hurry. Something could have made its way into one of the caps then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Worst one to find that I ever encountered ended up being a stem too. The dunk test in a water tank didn't find anything but the tire kept going down. Finally found the stem leaking between the brass tube and the rubber around it. You might soap it and wiggle it around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts