Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First winter with a diesel. It was below zero last and and will be for a few days. Can't get the truck to start. Thought I would try to plug it in. But I cannot find the cord. Don't really even know what I am looking for or what it looks like. I know it is located on the passenger side near the right engine mount. Can anyone described to me what I am looking for?
Truck is a 2003.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
its taped to the passenger pos. battery cable
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,934 Posts
It's just a regular black grounded A/C cord(the end does have a cap on it though, so you can't actually see the prongs). It's on the passenger side, and is wire tied just in between the air cleaner and the block. Just look around down there, you'll see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, finally found it. Have it all plugged in. Hopefully later today it will start. Wind chills are suppose to get to 20 below with a high of 0. This is the first really cold weather we have had in Ohio, so I hadn't needed to plug it in before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,934 Posts
Oh, I missed the part about it not starting. I know, it's right there, but my wife does say I suffer from CRS. Anyway, if it's been below 0 for awhile where you are, you may have a gelling problem. Do you use an antigel? If that's what it is, plugging it in is not going to help you out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
firsttimedieselowner;1569863; said:
Thanks, finally found it. Have it all plugged in. Hopefully later today it will start. Wind chills are suppose to get to 20 below with a high of 0. This is the first really cold weather we have had in Ohio, so I hadn't needed to plug it in before.
Ambient temp is what you need to worry about for starting. Wind chill doesn't matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably is a gelling problem as it still will not start. No, have to put antigel in it as it just got cold and I am really still learning what needs to be done with it. So I guess when it warms up and I get the truck started, I will put some in it. Can you tell me a good brand?

irjpr, I realized wind chill doesn't make a difference, I was just stated how cold it was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
firsttimedieselowner;1570552; said:
Probably is a gelling problem as it still will not start. No, have to put antigel in it as it just got cold and I am really still learning what needs to be done with it. So I guess when it warms up and I get the truck started, I will put some in it. Can you tell me a good brand?

irjpr, I realized wind chill doesn't make a difference, I was just stated how cold it was.
Stanadyne is good, Howes is good, and I am sure there are about 10 more that are all pretty good too, but it really depends on what you can find locally. Best bet is change your filter out, treat the fuel in the your tank and try and get it started.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
irjpr;1570543; said:
Ambient temp is what you need to worry about for starting. Wind chill doesn't matter.

well wind chill doesnt matter but the wind does some what, thats if you dont have the grill cover on it and the wind is blowing striaght on the block that will blow the heat away and make your heater work harder and longer.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top