Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shoping used 03 cc dmax trucks in wa state after car faxing I found aprox 95% of what I located were bought in canada then converted to US specs.Has any one purchased a simular truck and had any warranty problems or cause for consern.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
1 year ago this wouldn't have surprised me. But I am surprised to see this now. The way the US dollar is, it just doesn't make sense to send Canadian trucks south.

A year ago people were making money buying trucks, driving them for 6 months then sell them to the US.

·
Registered
693 Posts
pioneer1246 said:
I have been shoping used 03 cc dmax trucks in wa state after car faxing I found aprox 95% of what I located were bought in canada then converted to US specs.Has any one purchased a simular truck and had any warranty problems or cause for consern.
Be careful - it depends on how tightly linked gm canada and gm usa are - For honda's, one's coming across the border are not covered at u.s.a honda locations... (I have several friends who are honda techs, when the odyssey first arrived, there was a shortage in the us.

jeff

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I know GM was talking about doing that but I don't think they ever followed through. In all reality, I don't think it will ever happen. Too many problems with doing that.

B

·
0 Posts
I just bought a 2001 CC Dmax/Allison With 61,000 miles on it. After using CarFax And AutoCheck I found out it was from North Battleford, Sascatuwan Canada. My warranty was not an issue with that many Miles but I have not been Disapointed with the truck. I bought a warranty with the truck, I guess the body is garranteed for 100,000 Miles but all else was expired. The only difference I have found is that the Heater Dial is in Celcius not Ferinhight. EVERYTHING else is American, The Oil temp, Trans Temp, Engine Temp. I LOVE my Truck

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
All my trucks are Canadian, warranty has always been covered.

We still sell them from up there to down here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

pioneer1246 et al

Bought my '02 Silverado D/A in Canada while I was living there. Imported it back to the US with a Manufacturers Letter of Compliance (GM),which simply stated that except for minor labeling differences (dash)it met all US DOT and EPA regulations in effect at time of manufacture. Easy, painless and I saved a bundle on the truck because of currency rate of exchange.

I have not changed speedo face or odo because I became used to CDN measures during the four years I lived there. My .02 is that I decided against changing anything on dash face to include odo because if I should ever sell it, I want the buyer to see that everything was (is) original. Some buyers might get turned off to an altered even tho officially done speedo/odo. There were no requirements that any changes be made in order to "import" this vehicle back to country of manufacture. However this is not true for all vehicles....certain Japanese and German ones come to mind. Juice and attitude will get you mph readout on display.

No warranty issues but then again the vehicle has been virtually trouble free since purchased new.

Current exchange rates probably would dissuade me from doing it again. However it comes down to what you have to pay in US dollars to get the truck no matter where its from. Canadian vehicle warranty is honored here in US for properly imported vehicles titled in US states, and for our Canadian brothers whose vehicles need warranty work while traveling in our country.

Richard</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bought an off lease Chevy Ext Cab a few years back that had originated in Canada. GMAC Leasing auctioned it and somehow it ended up in the USA. Stickers had been affixed to the drivers door jam, inside the glove box and under the hood that a facility in Grand Blanc, Michigan had converted the vehicle to comply with all USDOT standards. I don't know what the differences are there between US and Canadian standards. But they had change the Speedometer and dash face to be in miles instead of kilometers.

I was hesitant to purchase the truck, but after a thorough inspection and talking to my local Chevy Technician, deemed to truck to be a "good value" and after much haggling with the dealer who had it on the lot, purchased it. In the time period I had it, it was a wonderful truck that provided good service and my only real problem with it was the loss of a fuel pump.

GM and GM Canada are two seperate entities for warranty registration. My US dealer performed two safety recalls on it when the paperwork originated from GM Canada, with no problems.

So I guess, bottom line, I probably wouldn't worry too much about buying a Canadian truck in the USA.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I purchased a used 03 knowing it had come from Canada. I had local dealer check VIN to insure warranty was valid. Only problem has been that when the ODlockout light did not work on dash, the dealer called and asked if I knew the truck had come from Canada. They learned this as they were researching the light problem Reflashed and all has been ok. Purchased 5/31/03 with 12996mi and today has 24650 and no problems other then both camping mirrors have been replaced as they did not always work.

Luv this truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my '01 near Seattle after the '02s came out. It had been imported to US from Canada by the dealer (exchange rate then was working in their favor and the trucks were so popular they had trouble keeping enough inventory). It had 3500 miles on it and the dash was converted from metric to English by a "Certified Importer". Had never been titled by a consumer and my guess is it had been used as a Demo rig but had to be sold as "used" in the US for some reason. Got a helluva deal and no hiccups over warranty at all - I've had a little work done on some minor items in Wa, TX, and AZ while travelling and no-one even blinks about coverage.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again but since this truck will probably outlast me I may not get another chance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts