Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a relatively warm part of Canada with winter temperatures rarely falling below 0 degrees F. If I install one of your filter units on my 2003 Chev 2500HD, will it require heating and shielding from the salt?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the same question?I snowmobile in the U.P. and northern wisconsin 10 to 20 below common at night

·
Registered
227 Posts
Me too. I live in central Michigan. I'm concerned that the OEM filter in close proximity to the engine keeps it warm(er) when going down the road. Also the engine compartment doesn't get as much, if any snow, salt, slush, ice, etc. In attempting to cure one problem, I don't want to add another.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
As for the shield, it isn't necessary, but some people have made shields for my kit which are pictured in this thread:http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=208&PN=1

Regarding the cold weather - Honestly I don't have a perfect answer, as i won't have my truck in cold weather until this winter. According to our resident diesel fuel expert George Morrison it shouldn't be a problem providing you run winter blend diesel. I don't usually quote him but i believe he said if you have any concerns, running an additive like primrose 409 in the winter (primrose is a good thing to run all the time regardless if you have secondary filtration) will eliminate the possibility. If anyone that runs in very cold weather would like to try one and report their findings, i'd be willing to offer them a reduced-priced kit for their findings.

I will run mine in some cold weather this year, but it won't be anything below 0*F. Although i won't be running winter diesel either, so that may actually be a good test after all.

Nick

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nick

Minneapolis MN cold enough?? Some nights in the -15 to -25 range. Fair amount of snow. And lots of salt!!!

PM me if you're interested. Jason

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've followed the thread before on the shield. I'm not convinced that will insulate it at all from the amount of crud that can be slopped around on the underside of the truck. As for additional treating of fuel, I personally don't want to fiddle with it. I'd like to think I'm buying a winterized fuel and leave it at that without putting in more additives.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Larsonem,

I do think you'll be fine with just winterized fuel, but we shall find out soon as a kit is on its way to mndmax...

as for crud, i think you'll be quite surprised.. i run no shield. i drive i mud, sand, dirt, gravel, etc. and have only 1 tiny paint chip on my filter casing....

The proof will soon "be in the pudding"...

Nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts