Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, once again need your help. Can you tell me what this tube does and what I should do with it. My original 1993 engine doesn't have this tube. The last picture shows the exit, whatever connected to it was gasketed with the right stuff or similar, looked like a press fit. Where it exits the motor just above the cam bearing in the rear, looks like it is just pushed in the hole with the same type of sealant around it. This donor is a 2004 I believe. Again any info on this welcomed.

Second question, is that my original oil filter is straight up and down, this one is at an angle. It appears that there is a large bolt that can be removed, and possibly make this a vertical mount as well. I am aware that there are probably some plumbing challeges. Can anyone comment on if this is possible or should I leave it alone. Thanks everyone for your help.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,934 Posts
That appears to be the engine valley drain tube.
Whenever someone gets a fuel leak and sees fluid dripping off of the bell housing that would be the source of the fluid coming from the engine valley.
4X4 engine oil filters are angled 2wd filters are straight. Yes it can be converted

Reactions: ArchaicAeronaut

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ok, I'm going to look that over. good to know on the oil filter. I'll see if there is anything that it interferes with. Putting glow plugs in and installing the motor soon.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,787 Posts
On the oil filter mount:
There is a real large bolt that you can take off.
Before doing that, you need to take of the filter threaded connector from the oil filter mount or you can wait till the whole thing is off.
Then you need to install the threaded connector to the engine oil filter mount to accept your filter vertically.

Just a note, for a 4WD truck, the angled filter mount is to clear the drive shaft underneath.
But, you can always use a shorter oil filter if the angled mount is not installed.

·
Administrator
15,934 Posts
Here is a thread with some info on the subject:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Did you check your oil cooler line sizes? A 93 would have had the small ones and as far as I know replacements would be the larger ones. I just mention it now because dealing with those fittings would be much easier with the engine out of the truck especially if you don't even have exhaust manifold in the way.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
The drain tube was used with manual transmissions to keep the gunk off the clutch.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did you check your oil cooler line sizes? A 93 would have had the small ones and as far as I know replacements would be the larger ones. I just mention it now because dealing with those fittings would be much easier with the engine out of the truck especially if you don't even have exhaust manifold in the way.
It is an Optimizer, it has the big ones.

·
Registered
123 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts