Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had trouble with the motor not developing HP after 40 MPH. Got a recommendation to clean the metering valve in the IP. Went pretty well. I took pictures and even marked the position of the face cam on throttle shaft for replacement. Unfortunately the yard marker ink was floated away by the diesel. I've read all the GM/service/TM and forums and cannot find any help in putting the face cam at the correct position on the shaft. I have the J-Tool, but it only helps if you use it during removal. Any advice where to start?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
IMO ... all I do adjust both the face cam and the advance leaver screw so it doesn’t bottom out the advance plunger at max throttle and there is a couple thou clearance at idle.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,164 Posts
On the pumps I’ve worked on and even reman pumps I’ve bought I find that the set screw on the lower section of the mechanical advance arm is lightly touching the servo pin at the bottom of the pump at idle position.So when you see that,carefully tighten the face cam bolt but don’t over tighten it as it will crack in half.

Also ensure the plastic roller on the actuating arm is free to rotate because if it binds,it causes the ramp on the face cam to wear prematurely because it’s scuffing instead of rotating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dieselolds, I'm following everything you are saying. One question: What position should the throttle lever be in for this- WOT or idle?

Bigboytoys: Thanks for the input. I think what I'm hearing is what I asked dieselolds above? Except you like to have a tiny gap of air (+/- 2,000ths) between the adjusting screw at the bottom of the Advance Cam Actuating Arm and the plunger it works -at WOT, is that right?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Yes, that is the basic idea

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,164 Posts
dieselolds, I'm following everything you are saying. One question: What position should the throttle lever be in for this- WOT or idle?

Bigboytoys: Thanks for the input. I think what I'm hearing is what I asked dieselolds above? Except you like to have a tiny gap of air (+/- 2,000ths) between the adjusting screw at the bottom of the Advance Cam Actuating Arm and the plunger it works -at WOT, is that right?
I usually just check it at idle position.There is little clearance at idle when it’s positioned correctly.Bigboys has it right as well.I also never mess with the set screw on the bottom of the actuating arm that rests against the servo pin.Usually that’s always okay where it is unless the pump is sent to a stanadyne shop for overhaul and calibration.

·
Administrator
16,013 Posts
Got it running, and it runs fine. Lots of power solid shifting. I think I'll go fishing tomorrow. Thanks for the help. :)
Glad your issue is resolved.
Thanks for giving us an update!

(y)

Reactions: Bigboytoys

·
Registered
160 Posts
So how was the metering valve? Was that your issue?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Just got here. Good advice above. Very few mess with the face cam but it should be used as a tuning tool. Best start off position is as above. Place throttle in Idle position and slightly move face cam till you feel roller contact cam. now go try it out. The more pressure you apply to the roller the more your advance is retarded. So if the engine has excessive knock on acceleration a little more rotation will be necessary. There are different face cams, actually two. Light duty and HD version.
FACE CAM WILL BREAK IF YOU GET IT TOO TIGHT. Just snug it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts