Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 36 ft. 2002 Holiday Rambler Presidential 5th wheel, and am wondering if there is any chance my 2004 D/A SB would tow it well. I was unable to determine GVWR for sure (think it was 15,000). Has anyone had any experience with this trailer?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I tow a 15,400lb (scales) 36' fifth wheel. 34000 miles on the truck and about 5K pulling the 5er. No problems at all. Tows it very well. You will want to get air bags, though. Be carefull with the HR brand. In '02 they did not offer an extended hitch pin which sucks for us with a short bed, you'll probably want a auto slider if it does not have a extended hitch pin. Edited by: neverenuf

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for the reply. I think I will give the HR another look.

Bluejay

·
Registered
186 Posts
I tow a 36' Presidential. I do have air bags, and 265 load range E tires, on CC SB. Other than 9mpg when pulling, I have no issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bluejay said:
I am looking at a 36 ft. 2002 Holiday Rambler Presidential 5th wheel, and am wondering if there is any chance my 2004 D/A SB would tow it well. I was unable to determine GVWR for sure (think it was 15,000). Has anyone had any experience with this trailer?

This past weekend we were camping, and the guy a couple od sites down had one. He said it was 17K, was pulling it with an F-550

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Is the tow vehicle a 2500 or 3500 Dually?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be pulling with a 2500. I looked at the inside weight tag today, and it says, 11,600 and 15,000GVWR. I am afraid I might be taking on a little more weight than I should pull. Beautiful trailer though.

Thanks for the help.

Bluejay

·
Registered
183 Posts
Bluejay-

You have plenty of drivetrain to pull that sized 5er, but you are going to exceed the payload rating of a 2500HD by a fair amount. We have friends with a 2002 HR Presidential 36(SKQ?) which they pull with a Dodge 3500 dually (btw, it DOES have an extended pin box). He has had it weighed, and his GCVW is 21K with well over 2500 pounds pin weight. If you beef up the rear of a 2500HD, it could do it, but you're gonna be over the manufacturer's ratings.

·
Registered
389 Posts
bluejay

you will do it fine though the air bags are a real good idea. i have a 38' prowler quad slides 14100lb's loaded, haven't had one problem of any kind. though i have a 3500 so air bags aren't an issue for me. the gvwr of 15000 is a number that most weekend campers will never see, most people that come close to their trailer ratings are full timers that carry most every they own with them. i don't know if your are full timer but even it you are, you are still good to go.

02 chevy drw cc lb 4x4 lt/10 lug conversion,xde245r 19.5 alcoas,afe,magnaflow,banks acutator,transynd,delvac 1,amsoil bypass,putco running boards

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a 2500 CC SB and the 36 SKQ. As mentioned above E range tires and air bags. I've weighted the unit when first bought and it is just 200lbs short of the max GVWR. I'm sure I run around 1000 lbs over that. The kitchen on this trailer is in the middle, and the tongue weight is not as much as other trailers I compared it to. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe I was less than 500lbs over on the rear axle. The E range tires alone have a combined 800lbs more rating than the stock tires. If I was pulling this on a full time basis, I would have a dually, but unhooked because of parking garage issues, I simply cannot use a dually. On secondary roads that aren't as good, you will notice the weight, but I think you would notice this with any truck. On interstates, not an issue. I've pulled probably 5000 miles now, and I feel comfortable with the setup.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2003 HR Presidential 36SKT. When I had my 02 2500HD (CC, LB) I was a couple hundred pounds over the rear axle weight rating. As I did not want to ruin a great truck I found a buyer that wanted it exactly as is and upgraded to a dually (See sig.). My trailer weighs about 14,500 loaded with close to 2800# tongue weight. Have the trailer you are considering weighed, as well as the hitch weight, and figure what you have. be sure to add at least 500# for your personal stuff in the trailer and whatever to take with you in the truck (don't forget the wife, kids, Fido, tools, etc.). As said earlier you have enough grunt but not enough rear axle rating. I had the air springs and they helped a lot but an insurance company would go nuts and deny any claims if they found you over the ratings. Just my opinions.

I love the trailer by the way!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
See my Sig. Truck does great.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice everyone. I just bought a 2004 Everest 292P 5th wheel. It is 9,640 GVW with 2,520 hitch weight. I think the D/A will handle it fine.

Jay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts