Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a wimpy step van that’s converted into an RV. It’s a 1994 P30 with a naturally aspirated 6.5L diesel and I want to flat tow my Ford Econoline van which is about 6,000-6,500lbs and it would be nice to put two dirt bikes on the front bumper of my RV as well. The problem is that it’s GVWR is only 10,000lbs and currently weighs 12,500lbs! The front axel is rated at either 4,400bs or 5,000lbs (it says 4,400 on the sticker, but 5,000 through an online VIN lookup tool) and the rear axle is rated at 7,900lbs. It’s not only converted into an RV it’s registered that way as well. Is there any way I can legally tow 6,500lbs and/or add more weight to it? If it was registered as a commercial vehicle could I then change the GVWR? It looks like Frito-Lay changed it to 11,000lbs back in the day, so maybe it’s possible? There is no GCWR listed on the sticker or found with an online VIN lookup tool and I read a comment that if it’s not listed then you can pretty much tow whatever you want as long as you have the license for it? There are so many rules for the DOT, weigh stations, highway patrol inspections, fmcsa, etc. How can I tow my van behind this wimpy little step van? Here are some photos of my little home:

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Having RV plates seems to really help but not looking like a traditional RV may attract attention and then pulling a full size van behind it? Were you gonna put the van on a trailer or flat tow it? Is this just for a one time move or are you going on a multi state tour? I don't think any state will allow that weight without brakes on the 'trailer'. That's also a lot of weight even without a trailer for a truck that wasn't really designed to tow. What's the rear structure like or is there even rear structure to attach a hitch to? What's the gearing like? Is that what they called a 'city truck' where its doing like 4K at 55?

Just because maybe you can should you? It sounds like you are already overloaded so steering may not be the best not to mention brakes are already past their design capacity and you want to add even more?

The reason the state patrol goes after weight is its easy to prove, put it on a scale and that's that. The registration is one way but many states do allow you to register any weight you want so some people do just to avoid those tickets. I bought a 11k gvw truck from a landscape company that had 18k registration on it. I think 12k was the next step for my state and that saved me like $400 per year so they must have been spending more than that on tickets.

The other easy way they get you with weight is tires. Scale says 3000 pounds, tire side wall says 2500... nothing you can argue there you are done.

I don't ever recall seeing an RV pulled over or in a weigh station so it kinda looks like they don't bother for some reason but again that's RV looking RV's so your mileage may vary so to speak. What does the van look like? Will that also attract attention?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Asking a lot out of a 125 hp engine.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
I think you are maxed out now.... Just asking to much for the job at hand.. Sorry not a DOT answer. Wow, I just noticed the over hang out back. Not a tow rig.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts