Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I delete my Vacuum pump on my 2000 chevy G3500 6.5l V8 motor its an L65 1 ton express Van/ school bus ?????? ? [If not why ?] ( If Yes) Thank God!!! Then the next steps if I have to keep it i need vacuum hose diagram because it all crumbled during my Water pump replacement that is currently under way now on hour 72 thx to no one having replacement GM radiator fan, and I can't find any help with where vacuum lines go or went. IF I CAN DELETE , What Belt would fit after pump is gone. Need Help ASAP Stuck in PHX AZ at Oriellys out of Parts, with Fam in Tow [ 1 wife ] (1 4yr old lil girl ) [1 big old dog ]

·
Administrator
18,473 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
The vacuum system controls your turbo system and the HVAC. If you can do without the HVAC then remove the vac pump and install a 1" shorter belt.

Your best bet is to replace the plastic vacuum lines with rubber vac hose and replace your vacuum pump

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace
The vacuum system controls your turbo system and the HVAC. If you can do without the HVAC then remove the vac pump and install a 1" shorter belt.

Your best bet is to replace the plastic vacuum lines with rubber vac hose and replace your vacuum pump
WHAT DO U THINK I DONT NEED HVAC WHERE I LIVE.... #1 So I would need to make a Manual WGate controller eazy enough from what i've seen... #2 get 1 inch shorter Belt.... #3 is my next ?..... [My Bus has <2> AC systems (1) standered HVAC in the dash and (2) pic here
Big AC unit installed inside bus at the far back... Everything that controlls and operates this unit (2) is Separate from (1) dash HVAC. <BIG AC> runs off Customized 2nd AC Pump installed on bottem front of 6.5l located on drivers side... right below power steering pump. Its bolted to a custom steel plate, AC pump 2, is then driven by a slimmer 2nd belt from a 2nd pully wheel that is bolted on to the front harmnic balance pumps hoses run to a huge radiator found on lower passenger side with a 3 elecltric fans installed inside lower side panel. Will this system still work?

·
Administrator
18,473 Posts
WHAT DO U THINK I DONT NEED HVAC WHERE I LIVE.... #1 So I would need to make a Manual WGate controller eazy enough from what i've seen... #2 get 1 inch shorter Belt.... #3 is my next ?..... [My Bus has <2> AC systems (1) standered HVAC in the dash and (2) pic here View attachment 639100 Big AC unit installed inside bus at the far back... Everything that controlls and operates this unit (2) is Separate from (1) dash HVAC. <BIG AC> runs off Customized 2nd AC Pump installed on bottem front of 6.5l located on drivers side... right below power steering pump. Its bolted to a custom steel plate, AC pump 2, is then driven by a slimmer 2nd belt from a 2nd pully wheel that is bolted on to the front harmnic balance pumps hoses run to a huge radiator found on lower passenger side with a 3 elecltric fans installed inside lower side panel. Will this system still work?
The vacuum will control the head unit within the dash.
I am unsure of your aftermarket rear unit. It's doubtful but you would have to inspect it for any vacuum sources.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vacuum will control the head unit within the dash.
I am unsure of your aftermarket rear unit. It's doubtful but you would have to inspect it for any vacuum sources.
Yea just looked i dont see any thing vacuum related. ThX

·
Vendor
15 Posts
As OKDually mentioned, the vacuum pump controls the Climate Controls in the Van. This operates all the controls for both the heater and the ac, when the vents are on and when they are deflected to the floor or to defrost the windshield. The vans are the only oddballs to still use vacuum controls for the HVAC head. You'll be best to keep the vaccum pump in the van and make replacement vacuum lines for the circuits.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
How about, delete the belt driven one and install this electric one like Fords use...
Dorman Vacuum Pump
Just need 12v with key on, pump automatically cycles on and off to maintain steady vacuum.
Also, the vacuum routing in the Savana/Express is pretty basic... one line feeds the orange hose to the WG solenoid and the other feeds the Climate control panel, done.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Oh, and while you're doing that, check the vacuum line from the WG solenoid to the WG actuator. I used to work on these vans all the time and nearly all of them would have holes rubbed in that section by the convoluted tubing. Throw away the tubing and patch the plastic piping with return hose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the Vacuum pump sounds good to keep I have to run all new vacuum line because it all fell apart and cracked crubled and broke but Bus did its whole service with Mesa AZ School district and I figured that heat + time + the need for HVAC is overwhelming lager then most anywhere else. Thx for the advice the Pump stays and im getting her going today I will post pics if i run into trouble.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts