Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a ppe hot +2 for his lly i was wondering if i could take that ppe and install it in my truck save the tune to my efi live and take it out and give it back to him and i have the ppe hot + 2 tune and also if i could do this can i modify that ppe tune

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
248 Posts
yup you sure can.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
If it's not illegal I really don't think it's the right thing to do.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The spirit of EFI Live is supposed to be YOU doing the tuning. Yes what you propose can be done. Is it the right thing to do?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
maybe he just wants to learn you cant fault him for that. now if you try and sell the tune or pass it off as your own then I think that is wrong. but for learning what someone else did to get that kind of power is a good idea its the fastest way to learn in my opinion thats why I like to dyno some of the tunes I make myself and then share them.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes car crafters22 thats excalty why efi live is like greek to me there is no way in hell i will ever learn this omg i never thought it would be so danm hard i wish i knew half of what mcrat or kenndy does i would be sitting on high cotton

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I feel the same way duramaxin14 I would love to be able to borrow their brains for a while.

Pat do think we could work out some sort of loaner program I am willing to pay shipping here and back.hehe

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I know what it feels like to have your info stolen. It is hard work making tunes. If you spent half the time of figuring out how to steal someone else's stuff logging and asking questions, you wouldn't need to look at PPE's tune or anyone else's. Saying it is Greek is BS. If you want to learn, then go learn. Don't steal someones stuff and call it learning. Buy your own PPE programmer and do with it what you want, but don't steal someone else's and use it. It is not right and there is no excuse for it. If you think it is okay to steal, then don't expect any help at all from most of us that don't agree with it. You will go nowhere fast.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Here is another way to look at it.

If your kid was having a hard time in a class. Would you tell them to just copy the test answers from the A student or would you want them to learn on their own?

I understand your frustation, and know it is hard to learn with little help. "A" students are not that willing to give away their answers which they spent alot of time learning.

IMHO, I also think this coping is happening alot more than most will admit.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Quiky One;1600635; said:
I would like to see what PPE thinks about this. Get it straight from the source.

Jason
The word "Piracy" comes to mind quick.........Seriously, it's not like you got a tune that someone put out to share like from the tune repository. You are stealing information that PPE had to spend it's money and resources to produce. Like someone said before whether it is legal or not it is the wrong thing to do IMO.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I dont think it is right especially if you dont own the tuner. But almost anyone here who says they have neverlooked at a copied file from any of the tuners is full of it! if you copy your own tuner and use it on your own truck and dont sell the tuner after that i feel its ok but dont load the files in someone elses truck, dont copy them and then sell the tuner.
But hey thats just my oppinion!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Seriously, you have an LLY. There are 30+ tunes in the repository for that engine.

It's not that hard to line them up against a stocker to see what changes are made where.

But I suppose morality and ethics are becoming passe these days.

Ben

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
does the PPE tuner not lock itself to the VIN when you use it the first time? the edge for the fords does, and from that point on, that VIN is the only one that you can use it on. I seriously doubt that PPE would overlook the possibility of this happening. you could still "steal" the tune, but you would be paying for another licence from EFI live to link to another truck, and I don't think it would be worth it. besides, you can far surpass what they do with those generic tuners with EFI anyways, I wouldn't waste my time.

·
Registered
802 Posts
ziadmax;1601133; said:
Seriously, you have an LLY. There are 30+ tunes in the repository for that engine.

It's not that hard to line them up against a stocker to see what changes are made where.

But I suppose morality and ethics are becoming passe these days.

Ben

Unfortunetly I feel alot of the tunes in the library were developed from purchased tunes, because if you compare enough of them, they tend to have alot in common. I don't know this for a fact but am just using deductive reasoning. (assuming). Now reverse engineering is common place, and yes the lines of morals and ethics become blurry.

I myself am trying to learn as much as I can before contacting someone like Pat "Team Salad" and asking for them to share their ~500hp tune. I am sure there is alot I would learn from their tune. but also I feel there is a big difference between asking the guy who made the tune and asking the guy who bought the tune.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i dont plain on doing it because i no i could get in trouble doing it because its copy right but i was just wondering and as far as learning about where can i find some one close to me to teach me i dont wanna start messing with it my self i dont want to blow up my 40,000 dollar truck

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
read read and when you think you've read enough, read some more! almost anything that you'll ever need to know is up on this forum, and if its not there are countless people that would be right there to answer you questions. and most importanly, make BABY steps, SMALL changes. if you are ever not sure, make the change smaller....you'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i want to think all yall in advanced and im sure yall are going to be answer alot of question for me

·
Registered
802 Posts
I am not jumpin on ya, just sharing my thoughts, you have to decide for yourself. I am not a saint by any means.:D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts