Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into what is the best cam to use in the Cadillac 6.0 liter......If anyone has tried or knows of which might be the best to use it would be greatly appreciated...the truck already has wester's hot tune, headers, exhaust and an air intake but i think it needs a little more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What do you wanna do with it? Any towing? Will you put in a stall converter?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probably going to add a magnacharger and cam.......will do some light towing..........i guess after the supercharger then comes the tranny

·
Registered
687 Posts
Why go through all the hassles of installing a cam if your going to put a supercharger on it?

Cams basically allow a naturally aspirated engine to "ingest" more air/fuel by holding the valves open longer and further.

A supercharger stuffs air in no matter how long the valves are open.

Sure a cam will still improve a supercharger, but for the hassle of installing, if I were installing a blower, I'd skip a cam swap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the way i understood was that a cam wil give you the most gains but it should be matched with the supercharger and of course i will have the wester's computer reprogrammed

·
Registered
687 Posts
Most supercharger cams are high lift, short duration designs. Which also are similar to stock OEM cams less a bit of lift.

You'd probably be talking about 10-20 hp with a cam on a blown engine. I'd settle for NOT diving into the engine and swapping a cam for those low power gains.

I could be totally wrong, but this info that I'm typing is based on what was true about 20 years ago.

I've heard good things about Radix blowers.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Instead of adding the cam, maybe a set of longer rocker arms w/rollers. I don't really know how the valve train is set up in a 6.0, but other build ups I have read about the roller rockers that are longer are good for about 10 - 15 hp. It would be cheaper in the long run and less invasive. Then add the supercharger.

JP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts