Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning my truck was running real rough for a little while, and finally set off a cel. can't remember the code but my edge said camshaft position sensor. Anybody know what caused this, or has this happened to anyone else? Bad gas maybe?
Bob

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
After the fourth unexplained CPS (camshaft position sensor) starting at 11k miles on 1 of my '06's, it was determined to be a bad ECM. Replacement ECM fried the MAF. Next ECM has been perfect, over a year now. If yours is the same gremlin, it will eventually give a code for a bad APP (accelerator pedal position) switch.

Worst part was they kept blaming the remote start. I completely gutted the remote start and changed the column harness to remove all of my connections and it still kept coding up for a bad CPS. Remote start went back in 4 weeks after final ECM.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who kept blaming it on the remote start? I have a remote start also. Referring to the ecm, you mean the trucks computer, or the edge computer? The very first time mine did it, it was the first real cold day, and it did it for about 15 mins. shut truck off, still did it, then I unplugged edge, and it went away. edge said they had an update, so I sent it in. Only had edge for about 3 weeks since I got it back. Now I wonder if my edge is acting up again? Do you think its from the gas at all? maybe water in it?

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
RJWesleyIII;1595633; said:
Who kept blaming it on the remote start?
The stealership.

As for the CPS, it makes no physical contact with any moving parts. The code you got for CPS need to be clarified. Either the code will be voltage high or voltage low. The sensor is on a 5Volt circuit provided solely by the ECM. Now I suppose the sensor itself could be bad. I know I've had a few Fords on the hook for that. But in your case, either the sensor circuit is over/under voltage, the sensor is failing (Fords usually give a warning thru hard starts), or the edge programming is off.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yah if it does it again, I will disconnect the edge and send it back. When it acted up the first time, i could not get it to stop unless I unhooked the edge. So maybe the edge timing is off. we'll see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts