Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have put this question to the suspension forum, but it doesn't have a section on trucks as old as mine. It's a '93 C2500, 6.5 diesel. Got 4 new tires, Michelins, put on two days ago and went back to the same place yesterday for an alignment. The fellow doing the alignment brought me out to the bay and showed me that there was no adjustment left on the control arms to get the camber right. Negative camber, and the tops of the tires leaning inwards towards the truck too much. He said that he thought my front springs are weak and after looking it over and studying on it, I can't see it being anything else. They're only 28 yrs. old. GM junk. Anyhow, was wondering if any of you guys have had this problem on an old truck like mine? I'm shopping for springs now. Saw the only ones that Rock Auto has listed for my truck and they ain't cheap.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Have your control arm knockouts in the frame been removed? They usually have to be removed so you can get the full adjustment range for Camber. Without them removed there is little room for adjustment. It is a very common thing to do. Your alignment guy should have known about them. If not find another shop. The usual charge to have them removed is $50-80. You need a special tool. You usually have to remove them when lift or lower a truck
If the KOs have been removed and you still cant align it. Then yes, You have worn parts like springs or bushings.
But after 28 years I would replace the springs. They are most likely worn and acting like a home made lowering kit. That should bring things back into the range to where it can be aligned without removing the KOs

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Control arm bushings are fine. Upper and lower. I replaced them with polyurethane bushings a few years ago. Bad idea on the polyurethane, but that's another story. Anybody that's put in poly suspension bushings will understand. The knockouts were removed when I replaced all the suspension bushings with the poly at the same time and had it aligned. I'm pretty sure it's bad springs, but appreciate any input from someone that's had the same problem.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Squeaks and rides like a log wagon. Was so bad after I put them in, I had to go back and replace the cab to frame poly bushings with OEM GM bushings. It was like going down the road on the rims. Worst mistake I ever made on my truck. And a big job that I dread ever having to do again. I've pumped enough lube into them to stop the squeaking though.

·
Whistle Pigs Are Cool
2,473 Posts
The Queen has 1/2 ton UCA installed before I owned it which caused some alignment problems. Getting a set of 3/4-1 ton UCA solved the problems.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I changed the bushings in the stock control arms myself. With (spit) poly bushings. They're original.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
wHAT DID YOU END UP DOING?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered springs from these folks: Coil Spring Specialties It will take them 3 weeks to make the springs. Talked to them on the phone and they use steel from a mill in MS and then make their own springs. Wanted to make sure I wasn't buying chinese springs. Got to have shoulder surgery tomorrow and it'll be awhile before I get the springs replaced and the truck realigned. I'll make sure to close this thread with the results.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,685 Posts
I ordered springs from these folks: Coil Spring Specialties It will take them 3 weeks to make the springs. Talked to them on the phone and they use steel from a mill in MS and then make their own springs. Wanted to make sure I wasn't buying chinese springs. Got to have shoulder surgery tomorrow and it'll be awhile before I get the springs replaced and the truck realigned. I'll make sure to close this thread with the results.
Wishing you the best of luck with the surgery and a speedy recovery 🍻

Reactions: Tr00b

·
Registered
232 Posts
x2 on the surgery. I've had mine worked on before. It does suck. Hopefully it isn't your dominate hand that is attached to the shoulder. It sucks to do basic things with a non dominate hand while your recovering.

Reactions: Tr00b

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks fellows. Yeah, dominant hand unfortunately. I'll be sure to close the thread about the camber when it's all done. Heading under the knife in about an hour.

Reactions: OkDually and Tr00b

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
went ok. l. hand typing only and it's an aggravation. surgeon found ball dislocated from socket but says he fixed it. no wonder it hurt so bad. i'll be back to working on my old truck before long hopefully. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts