Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rotated my tires today (~70 degree's out & sun) and checked everything out.

I "patched" my T/case in December and firgured I'd order everything after the 1st because of the holiday's hit to my savings.

I have 97K on my truck now and noticed my left front wheel bearing has a little movement. Guess I'll b e doing that at the same time as my T/case.

I didn't even hit 100K yet and all these problems;) .

Can't really complain though with the use I've gotten so far. All of it hasn't been easy.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Let us know about your conversation with Eric @ Merchant Automotive. Are you going to install their transfer case pump upgrade? What about their other product(s) like transfer case pump clip? Keep us posted on your findings.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talked with Jennifer today. The have the pump upgrade, clip, gasket, etc...

They don't have the rear case half at this time. I'm going to find it locally.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Having a hard time with locating the rear cases lately myself, I guess local dealer should be able to help you though.

Thanks for the order and let us know how you like it!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric,

Although I didn't speak to you, Jennifer and the other guy I spoke to (don't remember his name) were very helpful.

I did tell Jennifer to talk to you and if there was something I needed and didn't order to send it. I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it when I have it torn down.

Thanks to Merchant Automotive for freindly service. I'll find the back half locally or have mine welded. I really can't afford to have my truck down that long though.

Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
M/A Answered ALL of my questions Prompt and VERY friendly. I made 3 calls when I was doing my upgrade, and they were patient with me. Although I think they were fixing to charge me for the number of times I called. J/K

A very stand up operation!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPS just arrived (7:30 PM) with my goody box from M/A. Pump upgrade, (looks great) new clip and gasket.

Looking at the new part (although I don't know what the factory one looks like yet) I can see why Eric has to get $250 for the upgrade. It takes a lot of design and research to come up with something like this. It may not look like a whole lot, but if you understand anything about designing and engineering, you'll see what would be involved in and designing this part. It's very complex. He even put M/A on it even though nobody will hopefully ever see it.

I have parts custom made on a regular basis and understanding what's involved in the product design, I'm glad that that's all he's charging. It takes a lot of leg work to get the part from the drawing board to production.

Now I just have to find the T/case back half locally and I'll be pulling the T/case.

A friend of mine called tonight with a T/case leak. I advised him to get the upgade from Eric and we could put it in.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am trying to save up enough for the upgrade myself before I rack up too many miles!! I am at 12,000+ now and hope to get to the fix before it is to late!! Eric is a stand up guy, always takes the time to help out, even when he is eating pizza!!;)

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
cwq21;1593671; said:
UPS just arrived (7:30 PM) with my goody box from M/A. Pump upgrade, (looks great) new clip and gasket.

Looking at the new part (although I don't know what the factory one looks like yet) I can see why Eric has to get $250 for the upgrade. It takes a lot of design and research to come up with something like this. It may not look like a whole lot, but if you understand anything about designing and engineering, you'll see what would be involved in and designing this part. It's very complex. He even put M/A on it even though nobody will hopefully ever see it.

I have parts custom made on a regular basis and understanding what's involved in the product design, I'm glad that that's all he's charging. It takes a lot of leg work to get the part from the drawing board to production.

Now I just have to find the T/case back half locally and I'll be pulling the T/case.

A friend of mine called tonight with a T/case leak. I advised him to get the upgade from Eric and we could put it in.
Glad you appreciate the efforts. Its a small piece that looks somewhat simple, but I can tell you, its been a challange to get to where you see it.

I thought of having them anodized too, but relized that was prolly not needed since its kind of out of sight once installed..:D

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I went and spoke with Joe Webb before he passed, and he gave me a tour of the facility, and showed me the 9 step process of machining that pump housing, it may look like a simple piece, but if you look closely, it is a concentric design, so the common Joe would be HARD pressed to make that thing. Yes the price is a pretty good deal when you consider the R&D and the man hours involved in the process. As time goes on, and if need be a larger production the price might come down, but as of now the word really isn't out about the pump, so not alot of people are even aware there is a problem, much less a preventative solution.

I hope to have the instructions soon, having problems with the pictures........

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
dmaxalliTech;1593818; said:
Glad you appreciate the efforts. Its a small piece that looks somewhat simple, but I can tell you, its been a challange to get to where you see it.

I thought of having them anodized too, but relized that was prolly not needed since its kind of out of sight once installed..:D

Eric,
I spoke with Jen about ordering an E-Locker (will be calling back in March), but I forgot to ask her about the T-case pump upgrade. I am planning on ordering the upgrade, the Suncoast T-case brace, and rear u-joints. What else do I need (i.e. clip, gasket, etc) and does it automatically come with the T-case fix or do you have to order it seperately?

Also mine is an 06 with 20K. It isn't leaking yet. As long as it hasn't leaked yet, am I OK or can the rear case be trashed before the hole comes through?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
You should be AOK as long as the fluid does not come out and burn the transfer case up. I think you could reuse the case with the JB weld, if it is not run dry for to long.

I have finished the install instructions for the pump upgrade, I sent the to Eric to read through it and make sure I havn't forgotten anything, and then they will be ready.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Send them to me when you get final approval from Eric.

Although I could probably figure it out from the way you explained it earlier, I'd just like a little insurance. :D

Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Will do, I am waiting on a reply from Eric.

I am still having a little problem with pictures, but I think I have it figured out.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
well i just did mine yesterday thanks tolliwacker for the help well to begin with i ordered the pump rub fix from eric monday had it at my door step tues taking aprt the tranfer case is very easy once you do it i was a little shy to do it.once i spoke with tolliwacker it went smooth only thing i was supprised at was the amount of silicone that was in the pump pick up on the magnet im supprised that it dont burn it up on just that.second my case half on one ear just started to polish the case to a smooth shine so i can see why it happens.the question is yours is not leaking yet it will happen.i glad i fixed it now.thanks again eric and tolliwacker all sealed up and waiting for me to finish the trans to put it together.for anyone thats second guessing doing it dont its very straight foward i would think the only time comsuming part would be removing the t-case thats it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Tolliwacker;1594824; said:
You should be AOK as long as the fluid does not come out and burn the transfer case up. I think you could reuse the case with the JB weld, if it is not run dry for to long.

I have finished the install instructions for the pump upgrade, I sent the to Eric to read through it and make sure I haven't forgotten anything, and then they will be ready.

Stay tuned!
I too would be interested in a copy of the procedure. This would be a good one to post in the DIY section.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts