Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the opinion out there regarding changing oil brands?? like going from delvac 1300 to say penzoil. or running rotella and changing to chevron, ? any comments or opinions appreciated. bc

·
Registered
490 Posts
I do not think it hurts anything to change brands. Some folks use synthetic in the winter for easier cold starts and less wear, then switch back to dino oil when warmer weather returns.

Here is a good oil site: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

·
Registered
444 Posts
Changing brands will not hurt. I alternate between Shell Rotella 5W-40 in the winter and Chevron Dello 400 15W-40 in the summer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've always been a big fan of sticking with one brand of oil. Can't come up with any logical reason for this opinion though! Probably something an old timer told me once! Just my 2 cents worth!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I went with whatever the dealer gave me for my first freebie, to Rotella T 15w40, to Rotella Syn 5w40 and now to Schaeffer 15w40 syn blend. I go for the best oil/best price/easiest availability. I think a good oil filter and fuel filter will make a much larger difference than any good off the shelf oil you can buy these days. Just make sure it meets the manufacturer's specs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Isn't switching oil something of an "old timers" discussion. Years ago wasn't it a fact that not all engine oils were of the detergent variety? When you went from a non-detergent oil to one that was, you risked removing carbons and other buildup in the engine, resulting in other problems down the road. Seems like that is what I recall hearing once. But today, most oils are all of top quality, so it really shouldn't matter what brand you are using.

·
Registered
211 Posts
LARSONEM said:
Isn't switching oil something of an "old timers" discussion.

Exactly! And if you go by the "old time" rules;

You have to run straight weight oil
Synthetic will make your engine use more oil/not break in
Synthetic is so slick the roller bearings will not roll causing them to fail
Might as well try to find a toilet paper oil filter while you are at it!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
at the sake of exploiting ignorance...what does the term dino mean regarding oils? tks bc

·
Registered
772 Posts
Bob,

"Dino" simply means regular petroleum-based, fossil fuel, pumped from the ground, oil. Synthetic is man-made. There are some semi-synthetic varieties that, although they can legally be marketed as synthetic, are actually derived from dinosaur squeezin's. Mobil Delvac 1, Red LIne, and Amsoil are true synthetics. Castrol Syntec car oil, Shell Rotella Synthetic and I believe Royal Purple diesel oils are "hydro cracked" from organic oil stocks and are examples of the sorta synthetics that can be marketed as such, but lack the proper pedigree.

TC

·
Registered
444 Posts
bob camire said:
at the sake of exploiting ignorance...what does the term dino mean regarding oils? tks bc

Don't feel ignorant. when I first started the forums, I wondered also.Dino is the "slang" for regular motor oil or non-synthetic. Short for dinosaur equating to the fact that oil is derived from organic material from that period.

Congratulations! you are no longer a novice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts